Chinese-Forums

Sore throat after reading out loud

Don_Horhe

I'm going over some stuff for our 口语 exam tomorrow and I noticed that after reading 2-3 lessons out loud my throat starts feeling a little sore. This doesn't happen with other languages I speak, so I'm wondering - does this happen to anybody else and am I doing something wrong?

I thought I was the only one with this problem.

I did a lot of reading aloud to prepare for my Chinese teaching exam two years ago and was sore by the time I finished the oral section of the exam. Bad enough that I was admitted into emergency room the next day. But here I am two years later, the tough Texan that I am.

I read a few more lessons, and now have almost completely lost my voice... Hope it comes back until tomorrow. Anyway, what's strange is that this only happens when I read - if I'm speaking it's all fine.:conf

I wonder if this old thread has any bearing?
I think it does. So instead of "hyper-enunciating", you should now try to "hypo-enunciating" your Chinese. :mrgreen:

(The linked-to thread actually reminded me of my earlier stage of trying to speak Chinese: spit often came out along with the sounds I was trying to make :oops:)

If I'm trying really hard to get it right, my neck gets tired as well as my vocal cords. I nod my head up and down like I'm conducting a symphony without thinking about it. Second tone: look up at the sky. Fourth tone: look down at the ground.

I have what may be a fairly typical American tendency to “flatten out” the four tones, and must work to counteract that and be understandable in Chinese.

Edited by abcdefg

Could it be the tension? If you are preparing for a test or trying to impress a lecturer or someone, you may be tensing certain muscles the lead to soreness. The neck? The throat itself? Speaking unnaturally loudly? or in a higher or lower pitch than usual?

Just some thoughts.

Mado

Don_horhe did the oral test go well? We're waiting to see whether you actually lost your voice and resorted to Chinese sign language or what. Madot's reply seems to be what happened to me and maybe to you too.

Hi everybody! The test went well, my voice was OK in the morning. What Madot says does make sense, I realized that I tense myself up when reading, and also the fact that I "exaggerate" the tones - like you do in the very beginning - in order to practice and make them sound better in normal speech.