Chinese-Forums

Characterizer : another Firefox plug-in .... I'm hooked !

Petit_Scarabe

Hi all,

I recently found a chinese learning related plugin called Charactizer (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7208)

What it does is that based on a custom list of words that you can create yourself, it replaces western words on web pages by their (more or less) equivalent chinese characters.

I was very skeptical at first, but I have to say that I'm now completely hooked. The purpose of this plugin is to reinforce what you already know and to make you work your chinese even when reading materials that are not in Chinese.

For me, it works great because I take it as a kind of game : you read an article on the BBC news site for instance, recognize the chinese characters you already know and, most of all, really make an effort to try and find what additional chinese characters you could put in.

Ps: the only dawback is that editing your custom list is a kind of a pain and buggy... but with Exel's help it becomes tolerable.