Chinese-Forums

"lasagne"

tooironic

"Lasagne": Yet another word I've come across with a couple of different translations:

• 意大利式卤汁面条 (or abbrev. 卤汁面条)
  • 意大利千层面 (or abbrev. 千层面)
  • 卤汁宽面条
  • 烤宽面条

Which is the most common do you think? And are there any more I should be aware of?

are also abbreviated to 宽面条
But if you say 宽面条 to a Chinese person they will think of thick, flat noodles (I used to order these all the time :mrgreen:) so using it to mean lasagne will result in confusion - like when a Chinese person asks you if you like pancakes, when actually they don't mean pancakes, they mean 饼.

Hehe, it's the same with 薄饼, isn't it, Imron? You need more context. Could you perhaps use the full word the first time and use the short word later or you have to use the long word all the time? You suggested 千层面, is this the most common word for lasagna/lasagne in your opinion?

You suggested 千层面, is this the most common word for lasagna/lasagne in your opinion?
I'm not really sure, and in any event it's not really a common word/concept anyway. The only reason I know it was because one time I was at Annie's with a bunch of friends, including a Chinese person who had never eaten Western food, and after asking for recommendations, the general consensus was that he should try the lasagne and that's the word that was on the menu.

I only got to know lasagne through Garfield and had it for the first time when I traveled overseas. Until now I still haven't had it in China. Well it might be because that I rarely go to any western restaurants here, since they are either bad or too expensive, but it is not something you can easily find in the fridge of local supermarket either. To me, and I think many other Chinese as well, you will have no idea what it is until you've actually tried yourself, usually in an italian restaurant with bilingual menu if you are in China. So I think as far as the translations go, they don't make much difference; for people who don't know it, 意大利式卤汁面条, 意大利千层面, 卤汁宽面条, 烤宽面条 will not help much apart from the word 意大利, which may imply that it is not something that they usually will eat; for those who do know it, they will understand straightaway what you are talking about no matter which translation you use, provided that the context is clear (personally I think prefixing 意大利 to the latter two may not be a bad idea).