Chinese-Forums

Android Apps for studying chinese

Kai13

Just found this:

http://www.eprice.com.hk/mobile/talk/?prod_id=3488&tid=32319

I downloaded it and was about to install when I noticed it requires this permission:

"Require additional service fees" (or something like that)

which means they can just call any phone number in the background.

So I didn't install it.

But then there's a link to an earlier version at the bottom of the page:

Penpower Input Method

and that only requires some permission to modify global settings - which I think is understandable for an IME. Most importantly for an IME, it does NOT require "full Internet access".

I tried it and it seems to be pretty good. Works great with Hanping on the Nexus One :) Unfortunately, I think its only traditional chars...

Requires 1.6, I think and you do NOT need to root your phone.

Also, if you don't want to or can't root your phone, then try the Google Pinyin IME.

Sogou Input is also good but it requests lots of permissions (like "read contact data" and "full internet access") that seem unnecessary/suspicious so be careful with that one.

Edited by westmeadboy

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody used the ChinesePod Android App?

I've been thinking of buying an Android phone but I absolutely need a replacement for Plecodict (integrated dictionary and SRS flashcard).

There's also this company which has the Oxford dictionary and a separate, but integrated, flashcard app: http://www.penreader.com/android-software/Oxford/Oxford_Begineers_Chinese_Dictionary_.html

It's not clear though, whether the flashcards are SRS.

• 2 years later...

This is what I use for studying Chinese on Android (content of my 汉语 folder):

- Ankidroid (flashcards)

- Pleco (dictionaries + reader + flashcards)

- Hanping pro (dictionary)

- Go keyboard (input method - no need to root your phone)

- TuneIn Radio (to listen to Chinese radio stations)

- Viva Magazine (read Chinese magazines)

- Weibo (tweets)

Besides, I also use:

- A simple yet powerful text editor: Jota

- ACV to read comics, ezPDF Reader for PDF files, EverPaper for off-line reading of interesting web pages, arcMedia for video files, mp3s, TapeMachine to record myself, compare my pronunciation with standard mandarin and cry, etc.

- shortcuts to sites that are not specifically designed for Androids, but that work: Skritter, Google news (in Chinese), my "Learning with text" database...

• Like 1

@laurenth, I would like to know where to get and how to install and use Go keyboard. Have you got any info about it?

I am unable to access the androidmarket or google play so if you know where i can get any IME as an apk this would be great.

I have been searching for a while now and am a bit confused at whats out there.

I googled "go keyboard apk" and found several links. I don't know whether they are reliable, though. If you can't find Go Keyboard, you can also try to download TouchPal keyboard, which is good too (naive question: how come you don't have access to Google play/Android market?)

Thanks for replying, my android tablet does not have the required license for the market. its about 2 years old and runs 2.1. When i got it, it was relativly cheap and so far it has done what i need and more so I quite like it even if its a bit old. When and if it stops working then i will upgrade till then i will soldier on with it :)

From what I understand you have to have the go Keyboard and a dictionary. I am not sure how it works I may be wrong. I have Hanping dictionary installed, will this do?

I will go and have look at some of the links. Thanks again :)

Thank you very much cababunga. I have downloaded it and will try it on my tablet. Interesting that it will do handwriting too. Need to find the plugin apparantly but now I have the site I am sure i will get working.

Thanks again

Shelley, you might want to installing 91手机助手 on your Android. It's what people use in China as an alternative to the Android Market. I was helping a friend install some Android apps and found this. You can install 91手机助手 through its APK first, and you'll need to register an account by entering an email address. Once done, you'll be able to install over 600,000 apps directly on your Android (according to the developer).

You can see a review of its sibling software 91市场 here (in Chinese), with some screen shots. It's integrated into 91手机助手 now.

http://lib.91.com/news/09092011/002048836_1.shtml

掌上资源城 安卓版《91市场》评测

生产于次元:2011-09-09

The APK is available on the developer's website.

http://soft.sj.91.com/pandaspace/#

pandaspace_v3.1.1.apk

• 1 month later...

Hello Kai13,

How good is your Chinese?

'AnkiDroid' and 'Hanping' dictionary are must-haves. Fast, simple and effective!

If you can read some basic Chinese try 'Decipher Chinese' app

I use the dictionary and the audio on there a lot but it makes me feel good that I can read some interesting chinese articles!

I've been putting some of the apps which I've found useful here, although my focus is on Cantonese, when it comes to basic referencing of characters its usually just the pronouciation which varies unless you're looking at slang.

You could have a look at eStroke. Its a little more than a dictionary with flashcards and character writing practice. A little bit more pricey than Pleco though which seems to be the favourite among Mandarin learners.

• 6 years later...
  • New Members

I suggest Pleco Chinese Dictionary https://www.pleco.com/products/pleco-for-android/

You can choose traditional chinese or simple chinese, scan text with camera, make handwriting input. Audio pronunciation has 2 voices, man and woman. Stroke Order Diagrams: animations showing you how to draw each Chinese character;...

Edited by 陳德聰
Fix Pleco URL