Chinese-Forums

P.E.P. Yuwen courseware

querido

Edited 04JUNE11:

I had originally posted this link gopep.cn, but the People's Education Press website itself has improved so much (with vast FREE materials), I'm not sure that the above site is necessary. (And I'm also not really able to assess it for you; just go to the PEP site, I think.).

小学语文 (elementary school spoken and written language) homepage

textbooks

coordinated storybooks

writing practice books

Flash videos, etc.

Below I posted about yuwen courseware on disks. The videos on those are very nice, but expensive. The free flash videos for yuwen above are mostly equivalent.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally found the disks for sale.

Amazon.cn and Dangdang have them. Use this search string: 备课好帮手:语文

I have the first grade sets.

They specify Chinese Windows but the only errors I've seen (on Windows 7) are in a few tooltips.

They're intended above all for the teacher and for the teacher to present to the students but also include complete live and shockwave-style videos of the lesson texts I'm happy with.

For each volume (half-year) there are three CDs. I'll summarize the contents for year one volume one.

Disk 3 is all videos. One is a 24 minute monologue by the teacher, for teachers, with pop-up text, diagrams and illustrations, talking I think about methodology and objectives. Four more videos totaling 70 minutes are of, I think, model or illustrative classroom sessions showing the teacher and students interacting and a big screen at the front showing powerpoint slides. This big screen in the classroom is showing the .ppt slides mentioned below which are mostly of illustrations from the text.

Disks 1 and 2 cover the lesson texts. Each lesson has a) teacher's manual equivalent text, b] powerpoint presentations as mentioned above, and c) videos of the lesson texts, some live but most shockwave-like. They're coordinated exactly with the text. They're all subtitled. Their visual action is thoughtfully illustrative in that watching them helps one understand what is being said. They're beautiful. The 62 videos for all of first grade total 80 minutes. The first grade vocabulary is 950 characters listed as required plus two hundred or so more.

This line of materials covers through grade 9, so far, and is available in other subjects. Of course, this publisher publishes textbooks in the other subjects too.

• 5 months later...

I've found another option for people who are interested in video formats for various pep products besides yuwen. I just watched the first part of a VCD series, which was basically a teacher narrating chapters from a pep textbook, which was middle school chemistry in this case. The tile of the product was 特級教師輔導化学. It seems they have vcd versions for most of the textbooks in all of the grades. These products include the yuwen books. Sadly, it seems like bookseed only carries a couple of the high school courses. I bought the set that I listened to from yesasia, which still seems to have most of the versions in stock.

That's interesting, thanks.

Although I'm no longer using Chinese textbooks *intended for Chinese children* (turned out to be way too ambitious), I still think they, and materials for *other academic subjects* that you mentioned, are an underappreciated resource for anyone able to handle it, with graduated vocabulary, etc.

Six months ago I was able to order from Amazon.cn with no known ill effects.

If anyone is interested, I (along with others) explained how as well as I could in posts #17, 21 and 25 (see summary) in this thread.

(At least at that time, Google Chrome's built-in automatic translation was much better for shopping, but they required IE to place the order.)

• 4 years later...

In the original post I pointed you to the PEP website, and that was (is?) where everything (except the courseware?) could be downloaded.

Now, I've noticed that the (associated? Yes, it's linked from pep.com.cn.) gopep website has been much improved and expanded:

1. It appears that the courseware (audio, video) through grade 12 can be viewed there now. I just looked through it. It's the same material I bought on disk as discussed above.

2. In the past one was required to register at gopep, and I did. But just now I browsed through everything without logging in (couldn't remember my info).