Chinese-Forums

目送1949 - 龍應台的探索

skylee

This film will be shown in HK later this year (probably very limited release).

There is a youtube clip, and it is quite touching (especially for those who have read her book 大江大海, perhaps).

Do take a look ->

This was a really great book. I got to read quite a bit of it before someone recalled it. My favourite piece was the record of a conversation between two old Taiwanese Aboriginal men from the same village about their civil war experiences. One of them was captured by the communists and didn't get hom for fifty years, and the other one stayed in the national army I think, and was able to get back home. One of them was getting a bit forgetful and the conversation went something like:

A: "I was in the National army then, so I might have shot at you"

B: "No, you weren't in the National Army 國軍, you were in the Peoples Liberation Army 解放軍"

A: "Isn't the Peoples Liberation Army the National Army?"

B: "No it's not!"

I doubt the commies will ever allow it to be published in simplified characters though, as it doesn't really glorify their "liberation" too much.

It was a library book, and someone else wanted to read it so they recalled it. I didn't want to get involved in a "recall battle"...so I ended up just reading a bit.

I don't know whether here is an English version of this book or not, I was just "translating" what I remembered as an amusing passage in Chinese!