Chinese-Forums

Money from US to China

L-F-J

We don't seem to have a general open forum section, so I hope this is the best place to post this question.

Basically, I have someone I want to send money to in China, while I am in the United States. I have their name and Bank of China card number. So, uh... now what? :huh:

Is a transfer like this between countries and banks something that can be done through my US-based bank? I guess I'll ask them, but I just wanted to post the question here in case anyone has done this before and knows the best way and how to do it.

Thanks in advance!

Basically, I have someone I want to send money to in China, while I am in the United States. I have their name and Bank of China card number. So, uh... now what?

Most US banks can handle it, but first the recipient (payee) needs to send you transfer information about his/her bank in China. Name, address and SWIFT code of the bank. It needs to be exact and is usually has two or three parts, something like Bank of China, ABC City; DEF Branch; XYZ Sub-branch.

You need the exact name of how the payee's account is registered as well as its account number. It's a good idea to include the recipient's phone number and address as well, though it may not strictly be required.

Keep all receipts and paperwork in case you have to trace it.

In case you are not familiar with SWIFT, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9362

You want to get your friend to go down to their bank and get written down exactly what information is needed for an international transfer. You then want to go to your bank and ask if that's enough information.

International transfers are a pain in the neck as the funds may well arrive but sit in a 'parallel' foreign currency account which you can't see via ATMs or online banking, so you need to go in and ask if it's arrived yet and have it converted to RMB before it's accessible. Chinese banks will also happily reject transfers for what can seem like the most minor of reasons - part of the number was written outside the correct box, the transfer was to a John Smith, and this account belongs to Smith, John, etc.