Chinese-Forums

Intensive Summer Programs (25+ hours per week)

bobbyd

Hi,

I am looking for a 6 to 80 week intensive Chinese program for this summer starting at the beginning of July. By intensive, I mean roughly 30 hours a week. Looking on the CUCAS website, it seems like most programs are 20 hours a week. I would prefer something out west or to the north. Let me know if you have any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks!

I don't know of any programs like that, but just two thoughts: if it's classroom time that matters most to you, you could consider doing the 8AM-12PM / M-F classes (that's what most programs will have you do for the 20 hrs), and then schedule two more hours after lunch with either a one-on-one program (search on the forums, lots of threads on that) or find a student/retired teacher/etc to tutor you. I'd recommend the latter just because one-on-one is REALLY tiring and tutoring will be much cheaper. Alternatively, you could do one-on-one once or twice per week and have the tutor the other times. By the way, in terms of paperwork, tutoring and one-on-one are much more flexible and could be set up once you get here. Lots of schools and people will give you a free lesson (30-60 minutes) to help you decide.

The other thing to consider in advance is that most teachers are going to assign you homework and/or require some lesson preparation. Depending on who your teachers are, as well as what kind of classmates you have (studious or lazy), this could be a bad thing or a good thing. I've had classes with lazy classmates that only required an hour of homework per night, and I've also had classes that required at least 3-4 hours of homework every day. In the former case, I hired on a tutor for an extra 3-4 hours per week to help me move at a faster speed than my class and give me the extra practice (I can't self-study and learn, I'm just not that type). In the case where I had a lot of homework, I was too wiped after 8 or more hours of Chinese per day (4 in class and at least 3-4 on homework) to do anything more that required my full attention. Just remember: it would be a waste of everyone's time to add on "junk" hours -- quality time is more important than quantity. Everyone has a limit to the amount of stuff they can reasonably learn in one day.

• New Members

I think it is easy to solve the question. You can choose a language training center to study. Becuase you register for long term, it is mo probem to meet your needs in times. I studied Chinese last year in Beijing. I know that for most language training center, if you study more than 200 hours, the price of private class is same as group class.

If you want to study in a group class, you have to change your schedue. It is difficult for most students to study so long time a day. And you can not accept all of new words and grammars.

If you have any questions, you can let me know.

@bobbyd, what is your interest in 30 hours a week of class?

As others have indicated, 20 hours a week of class, plus homework, is about all most people can handle. Have you had a different experience? Or are you just hoping to progress as rapidly as possible?

For six to eight weeks (I'm assuming 80 was a typo) it's maybe sustainable - I can see someone who has not much time and a lot of motivation doing that. But if you're doing 30 hours of learning I'd say you're in trouble - a big chunk of that time is going to need to be practice, revision and consolidation.

Remember, the Bumper Book of Made-Up Statistics* says that for every 120 minutes of study we do, we do 83 minutes of forgetting.

CUCAS will I think only cover universities, rather than private schools which are more likely to cater for you. It's also worth bearing in mind that summer courses often feature a lot of college exchange students who aren't necessarily there for the learnin'.

*I will write this book if enough people promise to buy it.

We have had several students take on a full 6hr/day class schedule. A few of them were able to sustain it long term (6 months) but the majority end up dropping down to 4hrs/day after 1-2 months. There is only so much your brain can handle before it becomes detrimental to your learning. It will depend on the person of course, but for most 4hrs/day class plus home-work, reviews, tests etc is plenty. If you are studying for a test ie: HSK and your preparation time is limited then 6hrs/day might be an option from the get go.

I think starting out with 4hrs class for at least 1 to 2 months, assessing your progress etc and then think about increasing your hrs is a better option. This is what I advise people when asked.

• Like 2

I did a four hour a day class in China for 3 months and it was split in 2 hour sessions. The teaching was 1on1 and my Chinese improved rapidly. Plus the school encouraged us not to use our native tongue. The work load was hard but do-able @ 20hrs a week with 25 set to max. It was basically would get up eat breakfast, catch a ride to school. Get to school study a little then start class for 2 hours, break and have lunch. Take a Chinese nap ~no longer than 40 minutes long, my teacher loved those. Play some 象棋(which I suck at) or 五子棋(which I'm good at). Back to 2nd session. End class, catch a ride home. Eat dinner, then sleep. Wash, rinse and repeat! There is free time in there but enough to keep you sane if you have a strong conscience and the weather is tolerable. (Because some of us are not from Texas :P) Sight see on the weekends and Enjoy!