Chinese-Forums

Opportunities for an Electronics Engineer in China

prateeksha

Hello everyone! I am a 23-year old Electronics and Communication engineering fresh graduate from New Delhi, India. I have just finished graduation and am mostly a fresher (apart from the internships and trainings I have done). Along with my degree, I have completed a 2-year diploma in Chinese language.

I am coming to BLCU this September to pursue a one-year course in Chinese language. It's not a decision entirely based on the career point of view. I love studying Chinese and Chinese culture, and see this as an opportunity to value add to my skills before getting ready for the job grind.

First things first, I do not wish to pursue Masters in engineering. Not at least right now before I earn for a while and gain worthwhile field experience.

What I am trying to figure out is if I have a chance of finding employment with Chinese electronics firms. I am already good as approximately HSK level 5 after 2 years of studies in India.

How important is HSK in getting a job in China or with a Chinese company? Will getting a formal and higher HSK level help me in this pursuit? I am particularly talking about job opportunity in China, and not of the Chinese MNCs in India. My actual intent behind pursuing Chinese language with engineering was to work into core electronics field with Chinese firms.

Hi Prateeksha

I am also an Electronics and Communication engineer From Nsit,Delhi University and have completed one year of intensive diploma from Dept of East Asian Studies. I am yet to finalize on the University . BLCU or Fudan is among the choices.

What I am trying to figure out is if I have a chance of finding employment with Chinese electronics firms.

I don't feel fully qualified to answer this, but since no one else has jumped in....

I don't want to dash your hopes, but I think you are going to have a lot of trouble finding a "typical" job.

China has no lack of engineers, graduating well over 600,000 per year. [FYI, India is second at about 500,000.] So they don't need to import labor due to lack of people.

Compared to a local Chinese person, an HSK of 5, while impressive, pales to a native speaker.

Plus the company would have the extra problem of needing to get visas for you.

So ask yourself honestly, what do you offer to a company that would make you, with your language and visa issues, more attractive to hire than a local person?

All that said, I can think of two answers: English, and connections to India. So I would suggest you focus on leveraging those.

For the information of others on the forum, I applied through CUCAS. I called the Chinese embassy in New Delhi and they recommended me to apply through CUCAS.

I have had an amazingly wonderful experience with CUCAS. Their service is extremely efficient, they always reply to your emails within one working day and have a very organized structure for application. They charge US $30 extra as CUCAS processing fee, but you can apply upto 6 colleges with that amount.

Log on to www.cucas.cn and you will find all the necessary information there. :)

Paying the fee can be a nuisance, especially for us Indians since most of us do not use Paypal and Western Union does not allow to send money outside India. I had to ask my cousin in Canada to pay through her credit card account for my fee. BLCU charges US$100, roughly 4500 INR.