Chinese-Forums

University of Iowa Collection of 900 Lessons

MaLaTang

Just had a quick look at this and seems like a great find, much more than you'd expect from other 'free' resources. And for anyone wanting their life made easier by a direct link:

The Chinese Reading World by The University of Iowa

Just click through register, make the account (no email confirmation is needed?), and you're in to the instruction page and a few clicks from the lessons - choosing level, unit then lesson.

• Like 2

I checked out some lessons at random. It does indeed seem very good. I especially like that fact that most of the lessons actually deal with Chinese culture, so even if I don't learn many new words, I still learn about China. Having someone ask you questions is also really good, might work for test preparation if you don't have more suitable material.

The Univ. of Iowa site has actually been posted here a few times and also mentioned in the resource thread, but not had its own dedicated thread AFAIK. So it's good that you've taken the initiative to do that. Paike attempted to get the audio files for it, but no dice.

My own thanks goes to Scoobyqueen for mentioning it in this thread. I've been using it over the past 2 weeks - it's in nice digestible chunks.

• Like 1

It looks like the content is good, but they really could do with some better design, it's a little cramped and hard to navigate and use for me.

Anyone notice a lot of the links look exactly like the text? I have to swipe my mouse over it to see if it's a link of not.

But none the less seems to be a good find.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just started with the Intermediate readings, looks like this website will very helpful!

I wonder, what kind of REI score (reading efficienty index) do you guys get? So far I'm stuck between 1 and 2, seems pretty low.. I get most questions right but I'm kinda slow.

If I don't try to understand every word I get to REI 2.5. It's actually stimulating to get these scores after the assginment, pushes me to try harder (and for understanding movie subtitles I'll have to get way faster still..)