Chinese-Forums

Visa Renewal in Hong Kong

flippant

Hi everyone,

I am currently travelling around China, with no intention to take any sort of job while I'm here. My time frame is two years.

However, I am at the tail end of my 90-day L visa issued back home, and need to renew. I tried getting a 30-day extension on my visa, but apparently I need to prove I have enough money to keep travelling around. This requires a deposit of 20,000rmb into a Chinese bank account(?!). I have the money, but I would rather not fiddle around with opening up yet another bank account.

Are there any visa agencies in Hong Kong that can help me get a 180-day continuous F visa, or is that completely out of the question for someone in my situation?

If I go to HK and get a new L visa, will it only be 30 days? Because that's far too short for my use.

Cheers!

To get an F Visa you would require a job opportunity in Mainland China, unless a travel agent was willing to break the law and somehow fake this, which isn't out of the question, but would probably cost a lot.

The only multiple entry visa for Mainland China you can get in Hong Kong, for non-Mainland Chinese and non-HK Residents, is with a working permit for Hong Kong and an accompanying HK ID.

Failing this you would be looking to get a single or double entry visa.

Depending on your country of origin, the time you are permitted to stay in Mainland China may vary.

More information here: http://www.fmcoprc.g...ng/zgqz/bgfwxx/

I'd personally just open an account with a big bank like BOC. Be warned though, the Chinese banking system is a nightmare of epic proportions. You can only access your account from the city (I've been told the exact branch by some friends, although I've never had that problem) you opened it in. I've also heard of people being charged for withdrawing money in different provinces to the one in which their account is held. However, this is probably bank dependent, and I bet they just withdrew the money from the ATM of a different bank which incurred charges.

Still though, I'd write the F-visa idea off, at least getting it legitimately from Hong Kong anyway.

I've also heard of people being charged for withdrawing money in different provinces to the one in which their account is held

Ya, that's true. I opened my bank account in Guangdong province with ICBC and when a was travelling and I withdraw money from ICBC's ATM I paid charges, but actually I don't remember how much (may be 50 Yuan)...

I can't answer the visa issue, I've never heard of putting 20,000 RMB in a bank account getting you a long term visa, does anyone have details on this?

If you have a BJ BoC account and withdraw from a Nanning BoC you pay 1RMB for every 100RMB you withdraw.

If you have a "Harbin Bank" bank account, you can withdraw from anywhere in mainland China without fee. And if you get the "Harbin Tourist Card" style card it is quite colourful and shiny.

Having a non-native Hong Kong ID will get you a 6 month multi-entry visa with 30 day stays. I've not yet tested this without a Hong Kong working permit.

The only multiple entry visa for Mainland China you can get in Hong Kong, for non-Mainland Chinese and non-HK Residents, is with a working permit for Hong Kong and an accompanying HK ID.

I might have been wrong about this. Some Chinese embassy appear to offer multiple entry visas (not sure how long they are valid for), so maybe the consulate in Hong Kong does as well. I've always been asked to supply my ID card for this, but that might be related to my passport (British).

China travel services might be a good point of contact for up to date information specifically for your passport.

• 2 weeks later...

Matty: the 20k RMB was a requirement for me to get a 30-day extension on my tourist visa(!) - I did sort that in the end, but now I'm looking at Hong Kong again.

I sent a mail to China Travel Services (ctshk.com) and asked what sort of visa it was feasible for me to get. Met an american in Fujian who had a 1-year multiple-entry visa with 90 days per stay. I would kill for that at this point, to be honest.

Thanks, Mong Kok.

• 3 weeks later...

Update.

I'm in Hong Kong. Went to a visa agent today, who said I could get a 6-month F visa. He did not indicate that this would be a problem or that it was shifty in any way.

The visa is due back to me on Friday, so I'll hold off on giving any definitive tips until after that time.

• 3 weeks later...

In the end I got a 6-month F visa, as promised. Apparently they recently changed the style of them to have a fixed beginning and end date. I have unlimited entries and exits. The visa agent told me it could be extended twice (for 30 days each) like other visas.

• 1 month later...
The visa agent told me it could be extended twice (for 30 days each) like other visas.

You should try to verify this in advance before trying. We are able to issue the same type of F visa that you have - fixed date, multiple/double entry etc but it can only be extended in the city it was issued ie: 深圳罗湖

Which branch of CTS did you go to? I'm in Hong Kong now and went to two different branches and got two completely different responses. One mentioned they could only get me a one month visa, the other mentioned they could get a 3 month visa with a 30 day stay each time.

• 2 weeks later...