Chinese-Forums

Independent Study Routines

icebear

Thank you for starting this thread.

I'm also studying independently - have been for around 4 and a half years now. I did an introductory level Mandarin course back in the 1970s as part of a linguistics BA, then never did anything more till I went to work in China in 2000, so went to classes in China (a short course) as a typical sort of false beginner. I worked in China for 6 years but was very unsystematic about studying in 5 out of those 6 years - by the time I'd finished work, I couldn't motivate myself to do a lot more than learn the essentials for getting by in my daily life there. When I retired in 2007, and was back living in the UK, I decided to carry on studying Chinese - and suspect I might now never give up.

But I live somewhere the only classes available have been beginner level, so mostly I've been studying on my own - with short periods of some classes on trips back to China. Although I'm retired, I have limited time and energy available for Chinese because of other commitments and other interests. So, reading what other people are doing, and how they're doing it feels 100% relevant - and encouraging.

• Like 2

I find that I can easily get sidetracked by tasks that seem more urgent if less important, so I admire that kind of routine and discipline.

I wonder whether a conversation partner via Skype would be helpful. You can find one at the Mixxer (language-exchanges.org). That site also lets you blog in the language you are studying, and native speakers may send you corrections and suggestions.

It may also be helpful to sometimes listen to normal spoken Chinese, especially when you can easily find the corresponding English. For example:

http://www.rcinet.ca/chinois// (from Toronto)

http://www.voanews.com/chinese/news/ (from Washington DC)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/zhongwen/simp/ (from London)

Even if you can't understand everything, I think it's useful to just try to get the main idea. And you'll pick up some vocabulary about current events.

加油!

• Like 3

Thanks for the suggestions.

Actually, I already listen to VOA and Skype with China friends occasionally, but both are pretty sporadic, due to my motivation after all other obligations as well as seriously limited free time besides what I've mentioned already; in the list above I included just the activities that I've managed to develop a solid routine/habit around.

When my non-Chinese schedule starts to loosen up in the spring I'll look into those other services you suggested for practicing speaking and writing while outside of China.

• 1 year later...

Reading + viewing = 60-120 minutes per day

Listening = 30-45 minutes per day (round trip commute)

Skritter review = 5-10 minutes per day

Pleco review = 5-15 minutes per day

Total = 100-190 minutes per day, broken into little sessions all throughout the day (single articles, 1-3 minute flashcard sessions, etc)

• Like 3

Yeah me too. I imagine it's like how say motorbike enthusiasts check out each other's rides. 'Ah nice I see you've gone for the chrome triple-gearing above the brocket.' 'Yes, and I particularly like how you've got that flashcard & 听力 alloy working for you there'

• Like 2

-Every week I pick 2-3 songs to listen to and understand/try to memorize the lyrics. (Helps to maximize listening in a 10-15 minute train ride, while walking, etc.)

-1 Episode of a TV show per week, and about 30 minutes (each day) working on the grammar, vocabulary or repetitive listening at a targeted scene in the episode.

-30-60minutes of random hanzi/radical practice each day (I am at peace that I will learn, forget, and relearn characters over and over again)

-(5-10 mintues) I use Hanping pro and cycle through my starred words while I am waiting for a train/friends everyday.

-I read 2-3 magazine articles per week (to passively learn words and get exposed to grammar/syntax). I don't really stress memorization of things in the article, just comprehension mostly,  and for exposure to written/formal words sometimes, but find this largely an inefficent use of time.

At about 1900 words memorized, while being exposed to 5000+, I feel it's first a battle to incorporate as many useful-colloquial words as you can, second to comfortably use as many grammar constructions that become natural to you. My goal is to watch a chinese tv drama and not have to use my dictionary to look up a single word and feel/understand Chinese jokes. I don't really like using textbooks anymore, they are great for grammar though and the tv shows reinforce the useful grammar constructions.

• Like 2

icebear - what kind of level are you at?

At an intermediate level would you say textbooks are still pretty useful or do you prefer real content?

My tutor thinks I could breeze the HSK5 with a few weeks of practice tests to prepare. Maybe half a year of serious prep to get to HSK6. Both her rough guess, not mine. I currently don't plan on doing either as I find those type of study programs horribly boring. That'd also how I feel about textbooks - once I reached a reasonable level (let's say 1500-2000 characters) I far preferred reading articles and occasional books (and subtitles while watching tv) over textbooks. It was painful at first but soon enough my addiction to news could sustain the habit, rather than just a chore for language. I still go through textbooks occasionally, but at a casual pace that is more for language consolidation than expansion.

Where that level has me in practical terms:

I have a Chinese girlfriend that I only speak speak chinese with - as has been the case since about mid-2012. I have chinese friends that I only speak chinese with since about 2007. While initially (2007) there was a lot of confusion or avoided topics for convenience, slowly what's difficult to address shrinks. There are of course still some difficulties with conversation, although far fewer and not as fundamental. I very rarely feel at a complete loss of words, although sometimes am aware I could be expressing myself more eloquently.

I can watch Chinese sitcoms/dramas without much issue so long as they are sparse with 成语, and even then I can guesstimate enough to enjoy.

I can read Chinese newspapers on general topics or business/economics without issue (except speed, which I continue to improve). I don't read fiction as much, but enough to know I'm fine with translated work (eg 1984) or native content that isn't so 成语 heavy, again.

Composition and specialized vocabulary, as well as a few obvious words that one would learn in a structured program (e.g. learning "purple" 3 years in), are my main gaps. I've lived in China over a few stints covering half the time since 2006, and have never taken formal courses (i.e. in a uni with defined structure/goals). I started taking 1v1 tutoring with regularity (1-5 hours per week) starting the spring of 2012.

• Like 1

At about 1900 words memorized, while being exposed to 5000+, I feel it's first a battle to incorporate as many useful-colloquial words as you can, second to comfortably use as many grammar constructions that become natural to you. My goal is to watch a chinese tv drama and not have to use my dictionary to look up a single word and feel/understand Chinese jokes. I don't really like using textbooks anymore, they are great for grammar though and the tv shows reinforce the useful grammar constructions.

Sounds good. I strongly agree with your last sentence.

Out of curiosity, how do you select the characters/radicals you study? Fully random? Also, the time for characters seems a but heavy to me, unless they are all fully new (which is tough for me to sustain beyond a few minutes).

I've been using a standard frequency list for characters, although I've been thinking of instead mining new characters for Skritter in a similar fashion to how I mine words for Pleco. The advantage is obvious, although the downside is perhaps it makes reading new material outside my comfort zone harder, not easier. Still not sure where I'll land on that one.

Thanks for sharing!

I usually just pick words at random from my list, I mean there are still 3000+ words I should know...so I just pick like 5-10 words a day. If a couple stick then it's been a good day. I say you should always read new material (try interviews, their more spoken than articles). I personally believe TV is the best way to learn knew words (up until uppper intermediate). People are hungup on alot of business chinese, but I believe learning to talk and joke around with people is more important. Most business is conducted around the dinner table and with a bottle of baijiu anyways...you're only "formal" when doing first-time introductions.

I say you should always read new material (try interviews, their more spoken than articles). I personally believe TV is the best way to learn knew words (up until uppper intermediate). People are hungup on alot of business chinese, but I believe learning to talk and joke around with people is more important.

I generally agree, although I'd qualify that by saying beyond intermediate everyone should use whatever resources suit their interests/needs best. In my case much of my reading is work related, so it's duel use, if not so conversation relevant (I'm not as worried about that these days, anyway, given the environment I live in also forces me to at least maintain decent conversation skills).