Chinese-Forums

Chinese to English Dictionary for Kindle ereader

chinopinyin

I installed Duokan on my Kindle 2 International and found it to be nice-looking and easy to use.

As for the dictionary part, I was unsuccessful in getting the Chinese - English dictionary working properly. For some reason, all the dictionaries I tried wouldn't work.

I got a Chinese - Chinese dict. working, but it does not automatically look up the word when the kindle cursor is in front of the word. Instead, you need to highlight the word and press a few buttons. Not very convenient compared to the kindle dictionary, but perhaps similar in time required to handwriting the characters into pleco and looking up that way. However, I think I will opt the Pleco route just to reinforce my handwriting mechanism a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

So, let me get this straight, is there anyone out there who has managed to get a Chinese-English dictionary (or Chinese-Chinese dictionary) to work in a Kindle? And, if so, were you able to get it to work "on-text" (select a word and quickly look up a definition) or did you have to take the time to go to the dictionary screen to look up words?

I'm thinking of buying a Kindle to read Chinese novels - so I wouldn't have to lug them around with me - but I'm a *bit* put off if I can't look up Chinese words I don't know.

I got the dictionary functionality to work on my Kindle 2 with the duokan firmware. Pretty sure I have Chinese-Chinese and Chinese-English on the device but definitely at least one.

The duokan forum has a few guides that walk you right through the process.

Scoff, were you able to get it to work "on-text" (select a word and quickly look up a definition) or did you have to take the time to go to the dictionary screen to look up words?

You can move the curser and select the word you'd like to lookup. It's a little clunky because of the e-ink and the fact that you have to choose dictionary from the menu after selecting the word but overall much better than going to the dictionary and then entering the word.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have this problem with the chinese-english instant dictionary on the kindle 4, whenever I move the cursor to look up a word that is made of two or more charachters the dictionary doesn't see it as a single word but only shows the meaning of each charachter (i.e. 世界, the dictionary says 世 surname Shi 界 jie boundary and not world as it should be). I think it's a problem of codification of the text, if I m reading from a txt file the kindle sees it divided in chunks, if the text is encoded in .mobi moving the cursor I can go trough every character, which is not good because it messes up the dictionary funcions. Has anybody had the same problem?

PS: thanks digbybare for the good job!