Chinese-Forums

Fax machine in China

WestTexas

Hello everyone, I am wondering about the use of a fax machine (传真机) in China. I have been doing some work online for an American company and need to fax them an IRS form. Normally I would just scan the form and email it, but as this is for the IRS I think I have to fax it. I am assuming that there are fax machines somewhere in China, but I do not really know how common they are, and I do not know if I will be able to fax something to the United States. Honestly I have never used a fax machine before, so any help about using fax machines in China or just fax machines in general would be appreciated. Thanks.

In the past when I've had to do this I've just used some PC to fax service, they should be easy enough to find. It was years back, but I used to use a Skype plugin which worked fine.

Failing that, plenty of back street copy shops should offer a fax service - just look for the 传真. eg. They might not be sure how much to charge for an international one, but you'll talk 'em round.

• Like 1

These are the guys you want: GotFreeFax. Upload a PDF file with 3 pages or less, and they'll fax it free to any number in the US. Just scan your document in, upload it, and send. Works like a charm. I used them not too long ago when I was dealing with a US company that absolutely required a fax instead of an electronic copy, which is just stupid really, because I fail to see how a faxed PDF is somehow more reliable than the original electronic version :conf

• Like 1

Wow, awesome guys. I was in no way expecting such a fast response.

I fail to see how a faxed PDF is somehow more reliable than the original electronic version

Yeah I don't think it is, especially since it looks like I'm going to fill out the form, scan it, and then 'fax' the jpeg to a machine. I think it is a legal requirement for some documents. The government thinks it is easier to alter electronic documents or something.

Most offices still have fax machines. And, as Roddy points out, almost every photocopy shop has. Whether they have international phone access is less likely. Post offices also offer international fax service.

Computer to fax is the best option, but most Chinese people have never heard of it, in my experience. Just last week, someone told me it was impossible. And still insisted that it was impossible after I demonstrated it.