Chinese-Forums

Please help!

domicar

"love hurts" in 3 characters could be 爱疼痛 but frankly whatever their culture your future significant other(s) will not be happy to see this tattooed on you. I suggest you do not jeopardise your future happiness over past unhappiness.

"pain is temporary" could be 痛暂时, but then I suggest getting a henna tattoo and just renewing it until you feel better.

Also, if you care about what the Chinese will think of your tattoo:

1) most of them will possibly think it means you are in a gang. Nice Chinese people don't get tattoos.

2) most of them will possibly find it nonsensical and devoid of any artistic value.

(of course if you don't ever intend to go to China you perhaps don't care.)

• Like 1

hi Im not feeliing bad im ok but i just think that this 2 sentences are always truth, i would like to visit china but i will make tatoo on invisble spot so i dont care im making tattoo for myself and because im from croatia i dont know chinese so thats why i need help from some native..

Unfortuantely I cannot think of a beautiful 3-character idom expressing the sentences you mentioned. 有爱有痛 (literally having love, having pain) may have a similar meaning. It's commonly understood, but still not as a proverb as Love Hurts. Actually, Chinese characters are powerful in saving space, so will you consider more characters ? :).

It'll make people laugh and point at you.

"hurt“ (as in a very abstract word for pain/hurt) ”at the moment“ (暫時 is an adverb and should be put at the beginning of a sentence.)

I can recommend a Chinese proverb with a similar meaning: 不經冬寒,不知春暖。Literally: without experiencing winter's cold, one won't be able to appreciate spring's warmth.

Please don't try to translate English sayings into a language with a completely different grammar and vocabulary. It always looks very awkward. Not to mention that tattooing yourself with 白話文 is very, very 俗氣, anyway.

• Like 1

But I'm potentially saving you from a tattoo that will almost certainly not mean what you think it means, and even if it does, will probably be drawn incorrectly because the tattoo artist isn't familiar enough with Chinese characters to pay attention to the correct order and proportions of the strokes. From that point of view, you could consider it as being helpful.

Sorry to know that you are still struggling with it. Here is the exact translation: (Not as short & beautiful as a poem, but they are correct and meaningful sentences.)

Love is pain. 爱是痛苦的。

Pain is temporary. 痛苦是暂时的。

Good luck.

• Like 2

Dominicar, while Clary's sentences would get full marks if they were Chinese homework, they are not very suitable as tattoos. A short, slogan-like English sentence like 'Love is pain' doesn't necessarily translate as short and slogan-like in another language. 爱是痛苦的, while correct, would look stupid as a tattoo. Do yourself a favour and get something you can read and judge for yourself.

• Like 1

temporary could mean 临时,but I am afraind we would never use 临时 for "pains" in this context。

Domicar, as mentioned before, these translated Chinese sentences lost the original flavour. And it's hard to shorten them into 3-4 characters. If you want tatoos in Chinese, I suggest you look up from Chinese idioms or epigrams. I am sure you will find some you like. :)