Chinese-Forums

Can I teach science instead of English?

Ink15

Hi

I'm planning to go to China to live and work for at least a year in order to bring my Mandarin speaking level up to a solid intermediate level.

I originally planned to teach English, but I'm wondering what alternatives there might be out there for me?

I have a BSc in Chemistry and I'm just about to graduate with a PhD in Chemistry/Chemical Engineering in the UK. I'm a British citizen if that makes any difference.

Any ideas?

Thanks

There are definitely positions available. I would try contacting international schools based in big cities such as Beijing and Shanghai. Bear in mind however that your ability to improve your Chinese while working in that sort of environment may be slower.

Definitely possible, and with a PhD, you also have a better chance of getting a job. Apart from international schools, there are also schools in most large cities offering A-level courses to Chinese students who intend to study abroad for university. You can expect over 20000 yuan monthly plus possibly a living allowance, for teaching about 20 periods per week, although you will most likely have compulsory office hours (8/9am to 4pm). As for learning Chinese, the opportunities definitely exist. It's just up to you to make use of them. For example, you would most likely have a Chinese teaching partner who shares an office with you. If your Chinese is good enough, you can spend the office time chatting in Chinese.

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it.

Is 20,000 yuan a lot?

Obviously everyone's idea of what a comfortable living is varies, but could I live comfortably and manage to save money at the same time on 20,000 yuan? Would I have enough extra money to pay a tutor 7-8 hours / week for intense study?

I'd also prefer to avoid the big cities, is this possible?

Thanks

20K yuan IS A LOT of money in China. You can live really well with that kind of money, even without a living allowance.

You can stay in a nice hotel in Beijing, go out every night, take cabs everywhere, and have a blast, hire a private tutor, while still having enough money for a saving account :)

This of course assumes that you're single and childless.

20K yuan IS A LOT of money in China. You can live really well with that kind of money, even without a living allowance.

You can stay in a nice hotel in Beijing, go out every night, take cabs everywhere, and have a blast, hire a private tutor, while still having enough money for a saving account :)

This of course assumes that you're single and childless.

After taxes its about 15k/month. Rent will probably be 2-6k/month, depending on your preferences for location, roommates, class, etc. Tutor fees in a big city are between 50-150/hour. You can save money, and live well on it, but you certainly won't be "unconstrained" in your lifestyle; living in a nice hotel in central Beijing would be completely out of the question on that kind of salary.

I'd also prefer to avoid the big cities, is this possible?

What do you mean by 'big city'? A city with 2-3 million isn't considered big in China, but it is elsewhere. The town I live in has over 300k people, and it's considered a sleepy-farming town. Anyway, you can find a job outside of the REALLY big cities, but for a job at an international school or joint-venture university, you aren't going to find work in a village.

I didn't mean to make that amount of money seem low or useless - it certainly is a good wage, even in Beijing or Shanghai, but in those cities you couldn't spend with reckless abandon (especially not with Western tastes). You can live comfortably, and save a third or more, on a wage like that in a big city.

You could try to live in the outskirts of Beijing which will feel pretty rural/small town. You'd be in your own small bubble, and when you felt the urge could hop on a bus/metro and be in the center in a hour or two for big city comforts. A big advantage would be that Beijing (Shanghai too?) has very reasonable rents if you are willing to live far from the city center - I have a friend renting a amazing 2 bedroom flat on the south 6th ring for about 1800rmb per month, a quarter or less of what it would cost in the center.

There are a fair few schools in large cities that prepare students for university in the US/UK/AUS. The smallest city I've seen an opportunity to teach science in is Luoyang (pop:1.5m) but I haven't looked very much so you might be able to find somewhere a little smaller than that. The only niggle is your lack of experience but your PhD will encourage people to ignore that.

One point: if you want to go soon then I would start looking right now as we're coming up to the Spring Festival, when traditionally a lot of hiring is done.

• Like 1

Hi Ink15,

You should be able to find a science position with your qualifications. I help my Chinese friend with his recruitment/ head-hunting company. There seems to be more and more AP science teaching positions. I myself am not completely convinced of the efficacy of these programmes but they are in demand and the better ones do help students aiming to learn abroad.

These positions would suit you because they don’t necessarily demand teachers with certification (in your case a PGCE). Someone with your academic background would be more than qualified to teach and it should ensure teaching that is better paid and possibly more interesting for you. Some experience would be useful obviously.

To give you an example there is an AP science position (in this case Physics) that we are working on right now based in Hangzhou (not the smallest city in China - just for your reference) paying 15,000 – 20,000 RMB per month.

By the way, if you would like in on the Education (teaching jobs) or Professional (non-teaching jobs - all sorts of sectors) newsletters (or both) then feel free to PM me your name and email – the newsletters are sent out monthly and contain new positions across China. When exactly are you looking to begin?

Personally I found it difficult teaching and learning and actually got the best balance working a lower paid, less intensive university English position that provided accommodation. During that period I could focus on the Mandarin fairly well.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

Hi Tianjin42,

I don't know how to send a PM yet, perhaps I'm restricted as a newly registered poster?

Anyway, thanks for your post. I would like to forward you my name and e-mail address, I would not however like to make it public here.

I have experience of tutoring A-levels (mathematics, physics, chemistry), and from what I understand, AP is equivalent to A-level.

I am looking to begin in Aug/Sept 2013, that leaves me some time to play with in terms of getting further experience or some sort of certification.

I'm surprised that you mentioned 'professional jobs'. I didn't consider professional jobs because I've always thought that it would be too difficutl to find an appropiate job for my expertise.

Thanks for your advice and help

Guy at my work just took a few chem classes at college during his undergrad. Was making 400 kuai per hour teaching chemistry at a high school in Beijing. Then again, he didn't mention if this was counting out of class prep, and of course his contract wasn't extended...

Thanks for pointing that out Roddy. Yes, my efforts will be, and rightly should be, directed at learning spoken Mandarin to a relatively high level. Ideally I'd like to combine my engineering skills with my Mandarin language ability and return to Europe when I'm finished in China (finished meaning that I've reached HSK level 5).

Money isn't a big issue for me. That being said, a little extra money doesn't hurt, and I don't want to find myself becoming bored. At least if I'm working at something other than learning Chinese I can keep my mind preoccupied, and at the same time have the opportunity to meet friends.

Even if I did make good money, I doubt it would matter since the yuan/GBP exchange rates are so heavily in favour of the GBP meaning that my savings wouldn't actually be worth much here in the Scotland (or the rest of the EU/UK). The real and tangible value lies in the language skills and what I can do with them when I return home.

Because I intend to stay for at least a year (probably two if I can) I'm going to want make a lot of friends, and maybe even find a long-term girlfriend or wife, who knows?

I forgot to mention, is age an issue? I will just about have turned 25 when I graduate later this year, and I only have one year of professional work experience as an engineer. I guess I could say 3 if included my industrially funded PhD.

Thanks again