Chinese-Forums

180 points = Passed?

addeGG

Ok, so I barely passed HSK5 now but I did not reach 60% on the reading part. Now I am hearing some rumors you need to pass all three parts(listening, reading and writing) to pass the HSK, but I don't know if this is true or not. Usually I've only heard you need 180 points in total, average at least 60% that is, on the three subjects and you're set.

I know it's not so 好看 to have just passed a test but that is what happened for me, and I'm not gonna use it for job applying but for getting in to a university program that claimed 180 points is needed...

Yes, I'm gonna double check with the university but I thought I'd ask here first and see if anyone can answer this from experience.

Thank you.

Now I found on wikipedia: "There is no minimum amount of points required for each of the sections as long as the sum is over 120 or 180 points respectively."

But I've still heard rumors at least twice now that you need to pass all the sections so if anybody experienced this please let me know. I'm thinking though, it's a chinese university I want to get in to - Don't you think they will just accept me?

Did you take a computer-based exam? It happened to me, I had below 60 percent on the reading part, but more than 180 overall. :(

It's bad for your self confidence, other than that it should be fine. If your school wants more than 180 points, they won't be looking into your individual scores. Unless this is stated in the official requirements.

No I wanted to do the computer-based one because I thought I wouldn't score any good at all on the writing, but somehow I managed to get over 60 points on the writing, but not the reading... Yeah, the school I am looking at just says 180 points, but now since I started the thread I've been browsing some other universities and now Tsinghua seems to require 60+ on all the sections... So I guess it is from case to case as I said, but hopefully the norm is just 180 points and that's it.

It might depend on your field of studies as well. Some universities have different thresholds for humanities and natural sciences. Make sure you check before applying.

By the way, even passing HSK 6 with high scores doesn't mean your Chinese is fluent enough to keep up with your lectures.

@addeGG

The old HSK (which really isnt offered as much anymore) used to require you to pass all three sections to pass. That test had a max level of 11 and was MUCH harder than the new HSK. Many say that a High 6 on the New HSK is about the same as getting around an 8 on the old HSK. However, (unless they just changed it) passing for the new HSK is just a minimum of 180 points. Of course, a school can be more selective and say they want 60+ on each section, but that is the individual schools prerogative as you stated.

• Like 1

Yeah I know what you are saying, the program I am looking at though is not exactly rocket science but a 2 years chinese language bachelor program. I think I could keep up with that and I hope they'll accept me even though I did not pass the reading part this time...

• 2 years later...

Sorry for digging up such an old thread, but all my searches end up to this very post.

I just looked up my score reports and i have 56 on the listening part. Total score is 214. So did i pass the test?

A bit disappointed though, since on every mock test i did (official/BLCU) i always scored over 85% on the listening part :(

For everyone in the future wondering about my previous post.

Well, I got a reply from chinesetest.cn. As it seems there is no 合格 column for hsk 5 and 6 like there is on all other test results (e.g. hsk 4 , 3 etc).

They told me it depends on the univercity/company you are applying to, to determine if you meet their requirements.