Chinese-Forums

Why are you living in China?

simpleasy

Hi everyone,

I was wondering about the different reasons why one would choose to live or work in China, permanently or temporarily. And since many people here are actually spending time in china right now, or have done so in the past, I thought this would be a good place to ask.

I guess the most obvious answer would be to stay in China temporarily to learn the language and become fully immersed. Which is also what I am planning to do in the future. Some people might also be living there for their jobs, or maybe you have found a husband or wife there. Whatever your reason is, I'm happy to hear about it, and I guess it can be quite an interesting topic for everyone to read about. Especially when you have quite an extraordinary reason to be there.

Personally, I have never even set foot in China, not even left Europe. But as I said, I'm planning to stay in China for a while to learn Chinese and experience another culture. I'm probably going to start with a month this summer, and if that turns out well, maybe I can even do a whole year after I finish my studies here in Europe. I don't think I could ever live permanently outside Europe though. But who knows!

1. Learn the language, for the challenge of it, and the ability to speak to people of a very very different culture.  Especially important to me as I had learned some Chinese in high school a long time ago, and finally find it very very useful.

2. Get business experience in a very different business environment, and what is rapidly becoming the most important market in worldwide for almost everything.

3. The food.  Oh my god, the food.

4. See the sights of a huge country with many natural and man made wonders

5. Learn about the worlds oldest living culture and it's modern form

6. See the pace of change

7. By the time I eventually get back to Australia, be able to talk to my neighbours  :P