Chinese-Forums

Multiple entry X-2 Visa

dutchie

Hi guys,

I am a dutch student that is going to follow an university exchange program from september 2014 until january 2015. This requires me to apply for a X-2 Student Visa.

During my stay I would like to travel outside of China thereby requiring a multiple entry visa. However, I have not yet planned the trips that I am going to make there and I am intending to do so when I am in China. Do you guys know if it is possible to apply for a multiple entry visa without knowing the exact dates and durations of my trips? Because the application form requires me to fill in the following: "2.6 Itinerary in China(in time sequence) Please fill in the information of the detailed address(es) and date(s) of your visit in China in a time sequence"

And if it is not possible, do you guys know if it is hard/expensive to add more entries to my visa while I am there?

Thanks! 

Hi,

I have heard that the embassy is not very willing to give this visa with multiple entries. I remember that one guy had ticked "Multiple entries.." in the visa application form but in the end the embassy gave out a visa with single entry. Logically he was confused because he had already bought tickets and planned his trip, but still couldn't do anything.

But of course, it doesn't mean that it is not possible to get a multiple-entry visa. Perhaps some other forum users have better experience with this sort of things and can share what they know.

dutchie, I wouldn't worry about planning your excursions before you apply for a visa.  The only information you need is the duration of the longest stay in China.   (I'm basing this on the Chinese visa application here and supplement here.)  As scooby said above, though, there is no guarantee you will get a multiple entry visa, so it's probably in your best interests not to pre-plan too much! 

As far as your China itinerary, i.e., your planned travel inside of China, I would put your current estimated plans (without outside travel) and modify once you get there.  That's my two cents!

Hi Dutchie,

I'm also Dutch and have been to China twice, one of which was with a Dutch-Chinese university exchange program called CHECK-IT.

For my semester in 2013 they gave out business (F) visa's but for the students of the last two semesters they are just able to give out X-2 visa's with one entry. As far as I am aware none of the recent students have travelled outside the country while on their X-2 visa's. I've helped some of these students with getting their visa but didn't succeed in getting more than one entries on their visa, a lot of them also wanted to travel outside of China.

My advice would be to plan your travels within China, it will be worth it.

For X2 visas at the moment, if you get a multiple entry or not comes down to luck and how you talk to the person at the counter. If you have a good agency, they might be able to help you. No general advice will help, this decision is made by the visa officer handling your application. And nobody knows what will influence that specific person.

Similarly, there is no firm policy on adding entries in China to a visa. Depends on luck and location you apply at.

The itinerary you can just make up and change later, this is not checked.

If I was you, I would first look for a good visa agent and ask them for help. If they can arrange it then great. If not, go yourself to the consulate and be the nicest, most Chinese speaking person you can be, flirt, beg, talk about your sick parents and try to smooth your way through. If that works, then great. If not, then make sure your trip is still successful even if you cant get the second entry in China (or just cant be bothered with the stupid bureaucratic work).

Thanks alot for your fast replies! Very helpful!

I have also contacted my university and they have told me the following:

"It is the consulate/embassy’s decision to grant you single or multiple entries and We cannot influence the decision. If you have been granted single entry but want to travel outside China (including Hong Kong, Taiwan, Macao) when you are here, you can have it added more entries at the International Student Center of the University after the exchange semester starts."

Do you guys ever heard about that option (having more entries added at university) and do you guys know if it is fairly easy or a bureaucratic hassle?

Thanks alot!

• Like 1