Chinese-Forums

Chinese 101 in Cartoons (for emergencies)

pokey

I received Chinese 101 in Cartoons (for emergencies) from Elina (as part of the first giveaway) a week ago, via surface mail.  I've been reading it in idle moments, and I actually wish I had a copy when I moved to China.  A lot of the textbooks I worked through with my Chinese teacher and language partners didn't really relate to daily life as I experienced it anyway.

Many of the "emergencies" which feature, I remember finding myself in while living in Shanghai - from my father while visiting losing his wallet with credit cards and so forth, and us having to explain it and deal with the police.  To illness and dealing with non-English speaking medical professionals.  To even calling up the water company and having to order more water bottles!  I can still recall calling the Nestle water outlet, and every time getting a Mandarin speaker who didn't seem to understand my version of the language.

All the examples are very readable, laid out with a cartoon featuring people in the "emergency" or handy situation which may be considered loosely an emergency if one wishes (i.e. ordering bottled water).  And also each cartoon accompanies the same dialogue written out in standard textbook form, with lines displayed in characters, pinyin and English.

The book features an MP3 CD which I haven't listened to.  I'm sure that it's more helpful for someone who doesn't know how to pronounce Mandarin in the minimal level that I can.

Link to book page.

• Like 3