Chinese-Forums

<看错>人

rtf

看错 means a mistake, an oversight, error of judgement.

看 does not only mean to look at, watch tv,  it can also mean to read a book, to see, to view as and more.

if you look it up in a dictionary it gives many uses and meanings.

Hope this helps a bit.

I don't think this is a dictionary problem, it's more of a grammar problem.

看 does indeed mean "look". It's less nuanced than the English "look", because the situations in which it can be used are more broad: 看书 read a book, 看电视 watch TV, 看见 see, 看病 go to the doctor (because the doctor will look at, i.e. examine, what is wrong with you).

“看错” is not a single word, and it's certainly not a noun (as the definition "a mistake, an oversight, error of judgement" would suggest). It's a verb with a complement of result. “看错人” is verb-complement-object. For comparison, “看见” (as mentioned above) is another verb-complement construction; you looked, and the result was that you saw. Meanwhile, “看电视” (also mentioned above) is a verb-object construction; the thing that you looked at (or watched) was the TV.

Let's break it down further:

看 (verb) to look. Simple enough.

错 (complement of result) incorrectly. The result was that you incorrectly identified what was being looked at.

人 (object) person. The thing you looked at and identified incorrectly was a person.

You incorrectly identified a person. You saw Jenny and thought she was Helen. You mistook Jenny for Helen. You mistook somebody for somebody else.

As for the definition "a mistake, an oversight, error of judgement", CC-CEDICT is a great resource, but it's also a wiki, in which entries are added and checked by volunteers. As such, you can't trust everything you find in there, especially when it pertains to parts of speech (which aren't given explicitly but are often implied by the wording of the definitions).

• Like 2

Excellent explanation Demonic_Duck.

I didn't think it was so much a dictionary problem, more like the OP seemed to think there was only one meaning for 看 which I thought was causing confusion when trying to understand the phrase.

To elaborate on that second meaning:

In that case, the grammar is the same, but “人” is being used in the sense of someone's personality rather than their physical form, and “看” is being used in the sense of judging in an abstract sense rather than physically looking or seeing.

Another example of that meaning of 人: “她人很好” - "she is very nice" (literally "her personality is very good").

Another example of that meaning of 看: “你怎么看?” - "what do you think?" (i.e. "what is your judement of the situation?")

Thanks very much to all of you,guys! That was very informative indeed.I really appreciate your help.

So to say to someone  'Oh,sorry,I mistook you for someone  else', it should be smth like  对不起,我看错了.

But what about  'Oh,sorry,I mistook you for my friend Zhang'?  My version 对不起,我看错了.我看你是我的张朋友.

Thanks again & take care.

“看错了” is broader, as no object is specified. You could use it there, but it might be confusing if there wasn't enough context.

"Oh, sorry, I mistook you for my friend" could be “对不起,我看错(人)了,以为你是我朋友”.

If the person you're saying it to doesn't know Zhang, his name is irrelevant to them. If they know Zhang, you'd just say “老张” or whatever you both call him instead of “我朋友” (but if you're mutual friends you probably wouldn't say “对不起” in that situation, as it's too formal unless you've done something really bad).