Chinese-Forums

Best replacement for Lingt

usaar333

I've been searching for a solid replacement for Lingt (an online SRS vocab training app) that shut down a few years back that had a solid Chinese training interface. e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36nbxOoBdko

Important features:

• space repetition learning (with a schedule)
  • easy to add arbitrary vocab to schedule
  • pinyin input interface 
  • online (offline desktop app ok as well)
  • can focus solely on pinyin (no need to learn hanzi)

Being free, however, is not a requirement.

I've tried a variety of tools and all are missing one or more important features:

• Yabla: similar trainer, but no way to add vocab from its dictionary
  • Memrise: No pinyin input interface (tone correctness isn't validated)
  • Pleco: Very good mobile app that offers most of these abilities. No desktop app though, barring running an Android emulator on my machine. Significantly more complex to use than Lingt was.

Have you tried Anki? This SRS software has desktop, Web-based, and mobile versions.

With Anki, you have a choice of share decks, created by others, or creating your own deck.

I preferred Lingt, but after its creator announced it would be closed, I switched to Anki. Lingt had a better system for teaching new words, a good method of teaching tones, and easier way to quickly add words with pictures and audio. But you can still create a custom desk in Anki with features that can be adapted to behave in a similar way.

Friday: I've tried out Anki but out of the box it seems to just be a self-graded flashcard tool, where I specify how hard it was to recall the word.  Is there a way to make it have multiple-choice and fill in the blank? (pinyin)

milelove: simpler UI + desktop support is the main requirement.  Also I loved how lingt dynamically moved from multiple choice (chinese-> english, then english->chinese) to fill in the blank, while Pleco doesn't allow a single quiz run to have both multiple choice and fill in the blank (as it is a global "test type" option, not a "subject level" option); regardless, fill in the blank is painful on a mobile device, so this is more of a desired feature for desktop.