Chinese-Forums

Three Times 最好的時光

skylee

I have just seen this new film directed by Hou Hsiao Hsien (侯孝賢). I like the second story "自由夢" best (though I hate it being silent), and could not really appreciate the third part.

I think Chang Chen 張震 is superb. But I have always found him superb, ever since his teenage role (14 years old?) in 牯嶺街少年殺人事件 (I've watched it several times, including the 4-hour version). (And doesn't he have the perfect 鳳眼?)

And guys may find Shu Qi as attractive as ever.

Information from Cannes Festival

Official website

U105P28T3D875528F326DT20051025152525.JPG

ea051012011.jpg

el051018135.jpg

U105P28T3D875520F326DT20051025152312.JPG

I have seen the film. It has three stories happening in 1911, 1966, and 2005 respectively. The one in 1966 is the most simple and innocent. I guess most people would like this the best as it has a happy ending.

The one in 1911 is quite unique in style as it is a silent movie. The costumes are very colourful and the art setting is superb. It depicts the "nothing one can do" situation of the women in that time.

The third story in 2005 is very complex as the culture is changing rapidly. It touches many topics such as heterosexual issues and Internet. The director's style is a bit different from his past films, e.g., not too many shots are shot in a lower position.

All in all, I like the film.

• 6 months later...

Finally saw it. I liked the first story (1966) best, not just because it had a happy ending, I just thought it was the most convincing. The second story was a bit weird, being silent but still in color (not black & white), I couldn't really feel for the protagonists.

All in all not a bad movie. But I spent half the time being annoyed with Shu Qi. Nothing personal, but I really detest her (as an actress), she's such a poser. If her character is supposed to be sad, Shu Qi doesn't put on a sad look, she puts on a look-at-me-I'm-acting-sad look. Every movement she makes is calculated to have the maximum effect. This works in some scenes (when Zhang Zhen finds her in the last zhuoqiu-bar she works at, and she just giggles and doesn't stop giggling -- great scene), but when there's no-one supposed to be watching she still acts like that, and it annoys me greatly. I read somewhere that Hou Xiaoxian discovered her from a shampoo commercial, she should have stayed there, I bet she's great in shampoo commercials, and maybe some HK movies. But not in a movie like Three times.