Chinese-Forums

Simple Commands in Chinese

Xiao Kui

What's the best way to make these simple commands in Chinese? I lived in China but no one ever told me to do this so I'm drawing a blank.

1. Raise your head.

2. Lower your head.

I'm thinking along the lines of 把头抬起来 , 把头低下来 There's so many different words for raising and lowering. 3. How about hands? 把手举起来,把手放下来 ? ? ? The reason I'm asking is I'm trying to teach a few friends some basic Chinese (there aren't any real live Chinese available to teach in our Argentine town. I'm trying to use a TPR (total physical response) curriculum, but the actions they use are in command form, and some of them are things I never was exposed to (never came up in daily conversation. But the TPR method has been proven to be effective and I can see how these simple phrases can be useful for internalizing a language so I want to translate them into Chinese as accurately as possible. Here's one more:4. " Point to the door." Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Thanks for the speedy and helpful feedback. Is it wrong to use the 把 construction in these instances, or is it just a bit too formal or complicated for a simple command? It seems like I've heard "把手举起来“ before in a school setting, so that's why i was using 把a lot, but if it's incorrect I don't want to spread my ignorance. Also, would this be wrong for point to the door: 向门指 I'm going to go with the commands you suggested, but in TPR you try to say things in multiple ways so I'm looking for alternate ways of saying these things as well.

• 2 years later...

How does one issue commands for stative verbs rather than action verbs? I'm thinking something along the lines of "Be quiet!", which I assume would be 安静一点儿 or 冷静一下. What prompted me to wonder was my desire to tell students to "BE MORE SUBTLE" while playing the party game "Mafia." Should I say "诡秘一点儿?“