Chinese-Forums

Help: subtitles for Princess Iron Fan (铁扇公主)

foolip

I got some help on this forum with subtitles for Uproar in Heaven (大闹天宫), so I'm going to take my chances asking for help with something rather time-consuming.

I have a copy of the 1941 animation Princess Iron Fan (铁扇公主) that came with the 2-disc edition of Uproar in Heaven. According to some sources, this is actually the 3rd feature-length animation ever produced. The problem is that there are no subtitles, chinese or otherwise. To make subtitles, someone would have to watch the movie, write down the dialogue and then translate it. I would really like to have a chinese transcription of the dialogue (I'm not nearly good enough to do this myself) and an english translation. Of course it doesn't have to be the same person doing each of these things.

If there is anyone who could help out with this, no matter how little of it, I would be a very happy.

Some snapshots of the movie are on http://www.small-island.org/anim/pics.php/tsgz.html if you're curious about what this is.

How big a file is this, and how easily available. First thing you are going to have to do is get it to people. Pics look great fun though, I'll be happy to at least watch it :mrgreen:

Edit: Had a quick look around on Emule - it seems to be available, but it's a full 700MB.

Roddy

What I have is a 2.6 GB vobfile that I've extracted from the DVD. I can convert this to as small a file as needed, but of course if I make it too small it won't be possible to read some of the onscreen writings which need to be translated.

Maybe this could be a plan:

I'll make a 700 MB video file for anyone to download. Then I split the movie into many small parts, maybe one per scene or similar. Each part would only be a "small" file to download -- 50 MB or so. That way the work load could be shared and one person wouldn't have to do it all.

Does this sound sane?

Sounds fairly reasonable, yeah. However would it perhaps be wiser to make one video file as small as reasonably possible (perhaps divided into scenes) and then have screencaps of the on-screen text. I'm not sure how much on-screen text there is, so not sure if this is feasible or not.

Roddy

OK, I've made a page on my wiki with the video files and snapshots: http://www.foolip.org/wiki/Princess_Iron_Fan

The whole movie is 347 MB. I could make it even smaller if someone is on an awfully slow connection. I've also split the movie into 16 parts so that one could download and translate just a part of it if on a slow connection. Finally, I've taken snapshots from all the text on screen.

I hope someone can translate some of this, it's quite a lot of work.