Chinese-Forums

Jiangxi Agricultural University

JohnDoe2

Does anyone know anything--- good or bad--- about Jiangxi Agricultural University? Is it a desirable facility in which to teach English? Any information about this university and the city in which it is located (Nanchang) would be very helpful. The University's webpage really does not give much information, and my websearches yield very little.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has attended, visited or taught in this university, as well as anyone who has any knowledge of the city.

Thanks

As soon as I see "Jiangxi" two possibilities immediately come to mind. Either you are a totally inexperienced teacher who is seeking employment in Asia based on the fact that you speak English as your native language or you are an experienced English professor vaguely familiar with China who mistakenly thought Jiangxi was Jiangsu and Nanchang was Nanjing.

In either case, you really should try to find employment elsewhere in China; almost anywhere but Jiangxi province. Teachers with good quality qualifications easily find employment in good quality locations in China. Poor provinces like Jiangxi attract poor teachers because they simply can't afford an instructor with basic TEFL certification let alone one who has a degree. There is sufficient demand in China for both extremes so one shouldn't go to Nanchang unless absolutely no other possibilities exist. (Yes, it's that bad!)

Good luck!

"Lord" will do fine, Mr. Clamdip. I'm feeling rather benevolent this morning, so I'm pasting this job ad from March 2001 especially for thee:

Jiangxi Agricultural University

Qualifications Desired: Requirements for overseas teachers

The teacher should be native speaker of English from USA, UK and Australia and have a bachelor's degree (or TEFL-related certificate) or higher degrees. Age is between 21 and 65. It is preferable if you have teaching experience. Above all, we need teachers who are interested in Chinese culture, friendly with people and devoted to teaching.

Job Description: I. Introduction of JAU

The 60-year-old Jiangxi Agricultural University (JAU) is located in the northern suburbs of Nanchang City (25-minute bus ride from the downtown area, or 15 min by car from the airport). Nanchang is the capital city of Jiangxi Province. JAU is a key province-run university and is one of the first universities in China to confer Bachelor's and Master's degrees.

JAU has 11 colleges and departments. It is going to have a total of about 9000 undergraduates and postgraduates this autumn. It offers 54 specialties for undergraduates with bachelor's degrees.

JAU is one of the first institutions to open to the foreign countries in Jiangxi Province. It has received more than 8700 visiting foreign experts, scholars and friends from 89 countries. They came to give lectures, involve in academic exchanges or to visit. It has also established friendly and cooperative relationships with other universities and research institutes in the United States of America, Russia, the Philippines, Holland and Japan. JAU has participated in a number of international cooperative projects in scientific researches. Each year, the university sends outstanding teachers and technicians abroad through various channels to lecture, receive training, study for academic degrees, visit, cooperate in scientific research or to attend international symposia. JAU is qualified to enroll foreign students. It has also accepted foreign students to learn agricultural technology and Chinese. JAU began to hire EFL/ESL teachers from foreign countries in 1984. Since then, JAU has been employing overseas English teachers every year and has successively employed a total of 41 English teachers so far. Many of them have been from USA working here for two or three years. They have established good cooperation and close friendship with the teachers and students and the International Exchange Office. Many overseas teachers enjoyed their stay here and did very well. Some of them won prizes from the university, the province and even the state government. One of the teachers did such a good job that he won the National Friendship Award in 1999 and he was received by the premier of the State Council.

II. TEFL Program details

Foreign teachers are required to teach classes of speaking, listening, reading, writing, business English, Western culture, and English literature to students of English and business English majors in the English Department and to the postgraduates of various specialties from all the departments of JAU. The ages of the English major students range between 17 and 25, of whom about 70% are female. For each classroom, there are about 45 students. For some courses such as speaking and writing students are divided into two groups. The total teaching hours per week is 12-16 periods (40 min for each period). A national cooperative teacher is assigned to each foreign teacher. There are multimedia listening labs available for teaching.

Though we recommend and provide textbooks for both teachers and students, international teachers can choose and use their own teaching materials and methods when conducting the classes. However, teachers need to teach the classes in a way that is relevant to the designated courses.

Salary and Benefits: Salaries, benefits, facilities and services available

The monthly salary is RMB2000 yuan for certificate holders, RMB 2500 yuan for bachelor holders and RMB 3400 yuan for MA. Salaries can be negotiated if there are special qualifications and teaching experience. (The average monthly cost for food will be 400 yuan for each person). 30 percent of the salary could be converted into US dollars (US$1 is about 8.3 Chinese Yuan). We also provide 2000 Yuan per year as a travel allowance, and the same medical coverage as the national teachers. When you come and leave China, we will pay all your travel expenses including baggage within China, and one-way international flight ticket when you leave China at the end of the second semester. That is to say, all YOU need to pay for your employment in JAU is the flight ticket to the first airport where you enter China, and JAU reimburses all the other expenses needed for your trip, including hotel accommodations within China on your trip. Paid holidays include Saturdays, Sundays, May Day Holidays (3 days), National Day Holidays (3 days), New Year's Day and winter holidays (about a month). You contracted work term last from September through June the following year (10 months in total).

Depending on the size of the family, JAU will provide a newly completed apartment with a living room, two or three bedrooms, a dining-room, a kitchen and one or two bathrooms. Teachers with children will not feel crowded at the apartments. The apartment is furnished with sleeping facilities, TV, telephone (bill paid by the teacher using the phone), refrigerator, air-conditioner, washer, water heater, and kitchen utensils. Housing, water and electricity are provided without charge. The apartments are on campus within minutes of walk from classrooms. There are stores on the campus where you can get almost all the daily necessities. There is also a bank, a post office, a hospital, barbershops, tailor shops, dinning halls, restaurants and grocery free market. With green trees, beautiful flowers and singing birds, the campus may be the most beautiful of all the universities in Nanchang area.

There is a preschool on campus. It costs less than 100 yuan a month for you to send your child to get day care.

Additional Information: Administration

The International Exchange Office (IEO) is the official agent for foreign teacher employment. IEO approves and send the application materials to the Jiangxi Provincial Government for its final approval. IEO is responsible for the signing of contracts with international teachers to be employed, paying salaries and other costs specified in the contract, and providing housing and other living facilities. The Foreign Languages Department is in charge of teaching arrangements for both international teachers and domestic teachers. In a word, the Foreign Languages Department may choose international teachers academically and recommend them to IEO. Then IEO makes its decision of hiring the teachers and gives its approval.

When you have received the invitation letter issued by the Provincial Government's Foreign Affairs Office, sent via JAU's IEO, you can apply for your visa at the Chinese Embassy or a Chinese consulate near where you are.

To apply for a position with JAU, you can send your materials to both Foreign Languages Department and IEO, but it's more direct to send them to the Foreign Languages Department. The foreign Languages Department will then submit them to IEO and discuss your application with IEO.

Materials needed for application process

After you have first given us your information by email and both parties have the employment intent, you are required to send us the following paper documents by regular mail (preferably via express mail service):

1. Two recommendation letters by different experts or professors;

2. The copies of your passport, marriage certificate if you are married, your degree and diploma; 3. Resume;

4. Please go to Chinese Consulate in your country to get Physical Examination Record for Foreigner and do the form at a public hospital. If you do it at a private hospital, you need to get it notarized.

To view the JAU website, use the web link near the top of this page.(English version under construction)

References:

Dr. Mike Wilson (American) (84-86): mdwilson@vanguard.edu

Michael D. Wilson, Assistant Professor

Department of History and Political Science

Vanguard University of Southern California

55 Fair Drive, Costa Mesa, Calif. 92626

(714) 556-3610 x388

Mr. Glenn Claflin (American)('94-'95, 98-00): claflin@public.nc.jx.cn

Mr. Shawn Lee and Mrs. Dawn Lee (American)('95-'97): shawnanddawn@hotmail.com

Mr. Greg Entzian and Mrs. Helen Entzian (American)('97-'99): chinacall@email.msn.com

Miss Christy Litzau (American)(99-00): honglina244@yahoo.com

Mrs. Viola Taylor (Canadian) (99-00): taylorvio@yahoo.com

Mr. George Wildman (American) (since 2000): georgewildman@hotmail.com

I have similar PR materials, but the pay scale is much different.

Thank you for the references. What I have does not contain contacts to reach

past teachers.

By the way, Con, you may want to check your geography.

Lou Clamdip

BA American Literature

BA Linguistics

MA Linguistics,

PhD Psycholinguistics

Right. I suppose George Wildman is a rather tame fellow.

There are quite a few people in this forum who live in China. We all share an eccentric interest in Chinese language and culture, if you haven't noticed already. I'm a psychophilosopher to some, psychophilanderer to others. My nationality used to be a national secret, but too many references to Homer Simpson and NFL fantasy football gave away my distinct American character.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! No one gets away with speaking ill of Nanchang in these parts!!! :x

You'd better clean out that potty-mouth confucius!

:D

ok, so I haven't exactly *been* to any other cities in China (except for HK but Nanchang was heaps better than HK imo) but from my experience (2 months at Jiangxi Normal University) I can tell you that Nanchang is a great place! The city is just a city, like any other. You have your department stores then you have your black markets, computer markets, karaoke bars etc. The food is good. And when I say 'good' I mean the best food I have ever eaten. Ever. Living is cheap. The atmosphere and lifestyle is good.

And people in Nanchang speak Mandarin very well. It's very clear and easy to understand.

Nanchang has a reputation as a dirty city. People kept assuring me that not all Chinese cities are like this, "some are clean - and pretty"..... and well, I guess it is a bit dirty. But I believe their is beauty in everything. In Nanchang you can stare directly at the beautiful sun without fear of hurting your eyes!

A friend of mine has been studying and teaching in Nanchang for about 3 years, and knows quite a lot about the city, and has been to and taught in a few other cities with which to compare Nanchang.... I'll see if he can share some of his opinions about Nanchang and the university. He might be able to offer some kind of balance in mine and con's (It's ok if I call you con, right? :wink: ) opinions.

oh yeah. Don't read the Lonely Planet guide about Nanchang, they describe the best places to eat as near the train station. Food near the train station is bad. And when I say 'bad' I mean the worst food I have ever eaten. Ever.

Nothing in that thing is useful. The person who wrote it is an idiot.

Tetsuo,

Thanks for the reply. I had pretty much given up on this board because of the somewhat hostile remarks made to others and the negativity of the remarks made in response to my questions. If your friend can send some info my way I'd appreciate it.

I am learning a lot about the various China boards. Boards such as these seem to attract two kinds of respondents: those who know and those who think they know.

hahaha :D

Confucius isn't always that evil...... I think..... he's had his fair share of good replies too. Stick around, he might surprise you.

But you're right. Any type of forum, a place where virtually anyone can say whatever they like about anything attracts those two types of people, but I'm probably also one of the one's who thinks he knows, but doesn't. So I guess, just take everyone's opinions into account, do some more research then make your own decision. I'll see if my friend has time to reply to this thread.

Hi Lou,

I guess i'm that friend, first of all you have to ask yourself what you want to achieve out of coming here to teach. Is it for money? In that case go east buddy - to japan, korea etc but I'm guessing from your adamant and justified defence of china that you have an affinity for things mandarin that you're more about the experiences on offer, the yellow brick road not the castle at the end of it. If thats true then, jiangxi jiangxi jiangxi.

If you were to follow the feather mattress and dollar trail as our fiscal minded confusician friend scoffs at you for rejecting it would indeed take you to beijing or shanghai, but of course 1) end of the day the money is still nothing if you take it back to most western countries (so enough to live comfortably on is all you need) and 2) there is a whole other debate about what consitutes 'real' china. Is beijing the real china? Is shanghai the real china? I'm not game to answer this because it will open up another ego antler butting with certain folk but lets just say that it is true what they say - that beijing is a window on china - but like all windows a lot of what you see is actually a reflection on the glass of whats behind you, distorted.

When i first read this forum i wanted to leap to the defence of jiangxi, regale you with tales of this and that and to find, pull out of a car and slap the shit out of certain protagonists but then i realised, it doesn't matter what is said. Nanchang continues whether we like it or not.

But i'm guessing you'll love it.

Geographically speaking its perfect - 10 hours by train from guangzhou to the south, and therefore hongkong and macau etc, and 10 hours by train from the north, shanghai. Recently too there is a new high speed train thingamibob which makes the trip to beijing also only 12 hours. In otherwords you put your head on the pillow and wake up the next day practically anywhere on the eastern seaboard of china.

Finally, the foreigners here are very few which means the city is not very 'foreign' - it's still traditional still very 'chinese' something less and less aparent in shenzhen and shanghai by comparison.

From an economic POV jiangxi with nanchang as its centre is poised on top of a development rollercoaster, because of its proximity to these key cities in eastern china, and its good water access (nec. for industry) nanchang is about to become an important economic centre. I've been coming here on and off since 1998 and the changes i've seen are staggering, a government friend told me that they're nothing to the look on my face if i leave now and come back in 5 years. So if your interested in doing business in china, nanchang is still at a ground floor stage (try doing business in shenzhen these days) or maybe you want to learn mandarin.... what tetsuo said is correct, they speak very good clear mandarin here for a city outside the northern most provinces (with a couple of very easily mastered sound changes eg si instead of shi) and i'm confident that someone commited could get themselves to a very good level very quickly.

as for the ag college....

I know a teacher there and he's very happy - he's very very happy - but i know that i wouldn't be if i was there, you should get in contact with me. Salary rates are around 4000 yuan where ever you are (as a minimum) which is a fortune in nanchang.

Look, the best thing is to contact me - there's some other jobs here that i can putyou in touch with that maybe you'd be more happy with, or less happy with - thats the problem i don't know what you're looking for in a teaching position here. My email address is trufflepig31@hotmail.com. Please drop an email in and we can get into details and i can give you the contact details of the guy i know who's at JXAC now (and very very satisfied with the job - incidently he spent the last several years teaching at a private school in japan but after coming here he's never looked back) or maybe some other jobs taht you might prefer.

Anyway, good luck with it all.

warwick

so again, trufflepig31@hotmail.com