Chinese-Forums

Jiangxi Agricultural University

JohnDoe2

yeah, nanchang is a nasty piece of work on the surface - at least you werent the foreigner who pissed in the corner in the public toilet cos you couldn't see any urinals - and then washed your hands in the huge huge bucket of 'warm' water near the door........yes its what you think.

I remember someone telling me about a public toilet in jingdezhen in '98 that was a bus with no floor over dug trenches, guys n gals squatting between the seats. when the trenches got full, they dug some new ones in front and drove the bus forward a few meters. Does that ring any bells confucious?

Still, things have changed everywhere in the last 6 years - i'm sure now they have a brand new maglev toilet by now or something.

My research leads me to believe that the pay scale among state run universities is fairly even in the eastern part of the nation with a few exceptions.

High density cities may pay a little more but the extra pay is offset by the much higher cost of living.

It also seems to be the case that the younger teachers and students gravitate toward the bigger cities for social reasons. I am a former professional musician (my early years) and i have traveled the US and I'm really not interested in glitz, glamor, or girls on drugs. I am interested in the academic and the mature social experience, the candid street experience.

I am also interested in teaching on the university level, not for teaching for private middleschools. I've done the private school trip here in the U.S. and my experiences run the gamut. Joe's English school and Good Guy Harry's Lucky School just don't work for me. I've investigated them and I'm not impressed with what I've read. This goes for Korea and Japan as well.

All for now,

Lou

I grew up in nanchang, everything has two sides. however, if you want to learn mandarin and have a deep understanding of chinese culture. That is the place! Most of Nanchangers are very nice and friendly to foreigners. These years, the local government is trying hard to establish a good image of nanchang, which results in a bunches of reconstruction of buildings, roads and parks. and also you have easy access to the countryside life around the suburbs of nanchang which contributes to a considerable part of lifestyle and culture of china. I am sure You will not be disappointed in terms of Life Experience instead of Money. Good luck!

Its great to intellectualize in a forum just for the sake of a lot of ones and zeros making other folk wonder about one's wonderfulness but when you pose a specific problem and then people come out of the woodwork (especially when they would rather be off eating paddlepops) and stand up for you like tetsuo and i, or even make negative comments like confucious (lets not read that wrong - negative is also what you need to make any informed decison and i happen to agree with what conf. said about the nanchang Ag university) then the polite thing to do is to take the content from the public into the private sphere if that's their condition, which it was on reflection.

As for what you've 'read' about china - i'd be careful, i'd wager dollars to donuts that you've misinterpreted it. (and the educational environment in the US and china differs enough to not warrent making assumptions from one about the other)

mmmm donuts

I think the campus of this univesity would be a nice place to live, especially if you like living away from the city center... Plenty of tree and flower and hiking in the local hills....

As to Nanchang I think is is like most cities in China when it comes to environmental issues... Things that I liked about Nanchang where big computer market, hongcheng outdoor market and plenty of fresh vegetables...

Good luck,

Phil

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

so, I am in Nanchang today, with this being the most active thread about Nanchang, I guess its my best guess at finding someone to have a drink with tonight.

On the other hand side there was only one post in the last 6 years, so I am not holding my breath. However, if you are in Nanchang and like beer, pm me asap!

ok, nobody pm me, so I guess the Chinese Forums community in Nanchang is limited. In any case, they have good Italian (Cafe Roma) and French (Bistro100) food there.

Also, it didnt seem that polluted when I was there...