Chinese-Forums

Masters degrees in China

yonitabonita

Anyone know of any Masters programs in China that might be loosely termed "China Studies"? Ie, teaching Chinese language, some history, politics, etc.

I've looked at the program offered by the University of Nottingham in Ningbo. It looks interesting, but it's also got a 80,000 kuai per annum price tag.

Thanks

Y

aside from trying to save money, what is your motivation for getting a grad degree in china? i say this because for the most part, most degrees taken by foreigners in china are not recognized outside of china. the assumption being that you bought the degree of course. korea, japan, and taiwan in asia, maybe other asian countries do not recognize degrees from the mainland. the u.s. recognizes tcm degrees from china, however i think they shouldn't in the case of non-mainland chinese because a large number of non-mainlanders getting tcm degrees in china don't pass the requirements for their degrees - as one example.

My main motivation is that I want to be in China while studying Chinese.

Better if I can get a masters while doing it (studying Chinese that is).

While I don't want to go to a joke university, marketability of my degree isn't a primary consideration of mine. It's been a while since I was an undergrad trying to get a job. Besides, I already have a couple of 'sensible' and 'recognised' degrees.

I don't know much about the recognition of Chinese degrees overseas, but I'd assume that a Masters degree in Chinese studies in China wouldn't be considered a bought degree in the same way that a LLB might be. Afterall, it makes perfect sense to study Chinese in China. So while your point might apply to medicine or law or international relations etc, my inkling is that it wouldn't apply to Chinese studies.

I'd be surprised if a degree from the University of Nottingham Ningbo campus wouldn't be recognised overseas just because the campus happens to be in China. Then again, I could be wrong.

Anyway, if anyone knows of any info relating to my initial posting, I'd be glad to hear from you.

Thanks,

Y

I believe Dalian University of Foreign Studies do a masters degree course in comparative linguistics and another one in Chinese Language, although you probably need minimum HSK level 6 and maybe Level 9 to get onto the courses.

I will be there next week - I can ask if you like.

Here is the course. Starts September though - you might have missed the boat. If you are interested you can send me a private message, I can try to swing something if you have missed the official university deadline.

中外语言文化比较硕士研究生班

经过考试,符合研究生录取条件后,可学习外国语言学及应用语言学专业中外语言文化比较方向硕士研究生课程

Here is some description of content

Compulsory Courses: General Linguistics, Social Linguistics, History of Chinese Language, Modern Chinese Grammatical Theories, Pragmatics, Comparative Study of Chinese and Foreign Philology, Comparative Study of Chinese and Foreign Cultures, History of Native Language, Translation.

Selective Courses: Chinese Ancient Literature, Trends of Thought in Chinese Modern and Contemporary Literature and Art, Semantics, Literature in Native Language, Specialized Study in Linguistics.

It appears you need HSK Level 7 to qualify and pass their internal exam.

Hope that was useful....

Mr Toga

Wow! Talk about beyond the call of duty!. That was really helpful info. Thanks also for offering to get past the admissions deadline for me, but at this stage I'm just planning ahead for next year. I'm still waiting back for my HSK result but I'm not expecting a result of anything near HSK 7. With some elbow grease, maybe by next September.

I'll look it up and take it from there. Thanks again.

Y

No trouble - we work with these universities on a daily basis anyway.

Good luck with your HSK result. At certain universities you can join undergraduate degree programmes in the second or third years if you have adequate HSK certification - this maybe an idea if you want to study for a couple of years in China anyway, means you come out of it with another full degree to add to your current collection