Chinese-Forums

Adsotrans Firefox search plugin

johnd

I have taken the liberty of writing a Firefox search plugin for Adsotrans - one to Adsotate, and one to generate pinyin. You can find them here:

http://mycroft.mozdev.org/download.html?name=adsotrans.com

Adsotrans is already integrated with Firefox using the Greasemonkey script described in this thread, but I hope the search plugin will add another useful option.

Another tool I find useful in Firefox is the DictionarySearch plugin. If you want to use it with Adsotrans, just add the following dictionary settings:

for Adsotate

Text: Adsotate "$"

URL: http://www.adsotrans.com/new/traditional.pl?study=on&service=adsotate&conjugation=on&grammar=on&encoding=UTF-8S&encoding_out=GB2312&quality=high&url=$

for Adsotrans Pinyin

Text: Adsotrans Pinyin "$"

URL: http://www.adsotrans.com/new/traditional.pl?study=on&service=pinyin&conjugation=on&grammar=on&encoding=UTF-8S&encoding_out=GB2312&quality=high&url=$

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

The URL was changed on the adso server. I have already updated the search plugins to mycroft, but I found my browser has not automatically updated. I'm not sure how Firefox gets search plugin updates.

Anyway, you can install the new version manually from:

(edited: I have removed this link as it is no longer valid. Please use link in post #1)

The link in the original post #1 still brings up the old version for some reason - they are now invalid.

Guess we'll have to wait for Adsotrans to fix whatever is broken. Here's the error I'm getting currently from adsotrans.com:

Unable to connect to database server

If you still have to install Drupal, proceed to the installation page.

If you have already finished installed Drupal, this either means that the username and password information in your settings.php file is incorrect or that we can't connect to the MySQL database server. This could mean your hosting provider's database server is down.

The MySQL error was: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (11).

Currently, the username is newportal and the database server is localhost.

* Are you sure you have the correct username and password?

* Are you sure that you have typed the correct hostname?

* Are you sure that the database server is running?

For more help, see the Installation and upgrading handbook. If you are unsure what these terms mean you should probably contact your hosting provider.

The original Adsotrans server (server one) went down last Monday or Tuesday. By Wednesday the plugin scripts, etc. had been ported to the textbook server (server two). The textbook site started mirroring the "main server".

Sometime Friday afternoon the textbook server went unresponsive. I didn't find out about this until Saturday. Usage should not have been high enough to take down the server.

There are two possible explanations for what is happening. The first involves the two servers suffering technical problems almost simultaneously. The second involves the MII. I know that there has been stuff going on with them in Beijing, but I don't want to post speculation on this front until I hear back from the server company. If this is a technical problem, I'm expecting to have things back up by the middle of this week. If it is not a technical problem, I'd expect that the mainland servers will be out of commission forever and service will be down until I can set something up outside of mainland China.

If anyone is interested in setting up a mirror themselves, or getting a copy of the software while the site is down, just send me an email or message. Things are backed up.

• 2 weeks later...
There are two possible explanations for what is happening. The first involves the two servers suffering technical problems almost simultaneously. The second involves the MII. I know that there has been stuff going on with them in Beijing, but I don't want to post speculation on this front until I hear back from the server company. If this is a technical problem, I'm expecting to have things back up by the middle of this week. If it is not a technical problem, I'd expect that the mainland servers will be out of commission forever and service will be down until I can set something up outside of mainland China.

Any update?

The main server is back up and seems to be stable. The textbook site is down. I've complained about the unreliability of the server and things are slowly, slowly moving. Planning some major changes to the textbook site anyway - so the real inconvenience is that the most recent downloads are down.

• 8 months later...