Chinese-Forums

evicted!!!

mr.stinky

so i'm in class and my phone rings (luckily i forgot just this once to turn off the ring), my

roommate says it's all bloweded up!! someone from the army base next door called

the landlord who called the rental agent who called my roomie's office who notified her...

it seems furr'ners are not/no longer allowed to live in this particular housing area due to

proximity to the base. (guess they caught me keeping notes of how many push-ups the

soldiers can do, which i then pass on to my cia masters...).

sooooo. we gotta move. when? within five days. one poor girl just moved in last month,

now has to find a new place.

but it's not all bad. my roomie is returning to her home country next week, and i've

moved in with my girlfriend. saves us the hassle of argueing with the rental agent for

return of unused rent.

That's pretty poor, glad it hasn't caused you too much hassle. I'd be halfway inclined to insist on a formal, stamped, notice from the PLA saying that you have to move due to national security reasons - wouldn't make any difference in practical terms, but would look great on the wall . . .

Unfortunately, this is not the first time I have heard of this....

My friend is Chinese, born and raised but now has US citizenship. He purchased a condo and all was well....UNTIL they informed him they couldn't give him the deed since he is too close to an army (military?) base.

I think a year or so has gone by and still no deed. His parents are currently living in the unit (which techically it's for them) but they still won't issue the deed b/c of the citizenship situation...

• 2 weeks later...

Depends what they want it to be, I reckon. I doubt there's an official 'foreigners may not live within XXX meters of an army base' regulation, it just depends what limits, if any, they set locally. Nobody is going to try and sue the army (although if you are going to, Mr. Stinky, I'll help fund your lawyers, and come to meet you when you get released)

i never saw any official paperwork, just the 'word' (bwahahahahah) of the rental agent.

most likely, they wanted to free up apartments for new military transfers, or perhaps

wanted to raise the rental rates. although why they couldn't wait 5 weeks for the

contract to expire....

anyway, worked out for the best. we got the final month's rent returned, and the

landlady was soooooooooo pleased with how clean the apartment was....after we

spent a whole hour cleaning.

Yes, that is something you dont think of when looking for a flat.

I wonder if the same thing happens if you live with/married to a chinese and they find out you are living somewhere near.

Thats a bummer, but glad it worked out OK. More by luck than judgement though.