Chinese-Forums

Using a Tablet PC to study Chinese

character

• 4 weeks later...

I wish I had more to post in this topic but Lenovo is having some problem making Tablet PCs with SXGA+ screens, so I'm still waiting for mine. Anyways...

Tablet PC Multilanguage Interface Demo

A little demo of Chinese character entry:

• 1 month later...

Some notes on using a Tablet PC with Vista (Business):

1) Wenlin and its 3.3.6 update install and seem to run fine. After installing the update there was a compatibility warning, but I told Vista to not do anything about it.

2) In Vista's Control Panel | Regional and Language Options | Keyboards and Languages | Change Keyboards... I added Chinese (Taiwan). This gives the taskbar and the Tablet PC Input Panel the option to switch from English to Chinese.

3) Switching to Chinese in the Input Panel allows one to write characters and insert them in entry fields, OneNote 2007, etc. When I wrote the simplified character for wind, it replaced it with the traditional character. I assume this is a side effect of using Chinese (Taiwan) instead of Chinese (PRC) or whatever.

4) In OneNote 2007, it is possible to write Chinese and convert it to text later, but I'm not sure of the exact steps required. One might have to set the language to a Chinese setting and then write the Chinese.