Chinese-Forums

死不了 - Please help me to interpret the lyrics

nowhere

I watched the wuxia series Xiao Ao Jiang Hu 2000, starring Anita Yuan and Richie Ren, several days ago and find the opening song by Riche Ren very interesting.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htcW2dCvpTo

However I can't fully understand the meaning of the song.

Below is my (literal) interpretation of the lyrics:

死不了 - Cannot die

1 剖开胸膛 我让心在烈日底下烧 - Cut open my chest, I let my heart burnt under the intense sun

2 烧成记号 记你的好永远別忘掉 - Burning a seal to remember good things about you and never forget them

3 头破血流 也要护你到天涯海角 - Even if I bleed and my head is damaged I'll still protect you to the ends of the earth

4 爱一个字 我敢用一辈子来回报 - Your love, I dare spend my whole life to repay you for it

5 狂风吹 大海啸 真心的人死不了 - The fierce wind blows, the ocean is roaring, a sincere person is immortal

6 地多大 天多高 一生只换一声好 - The earth is so big, the sky is so high, I only exchange my life for an 'OK' word by you

7 痛快哭 痛快笑 痛快的痛死不了 - Contentedly cry, contentedly laugh, a contented pain is immortal

8 这一生 这一秒 我只要求你知道 - This life, this moment, I only need you to understand that

9 冰天雪地 我把冰水全往头上浇 - In a world of ice and snow, I pour icy water on my head

10 浇熄思念 最後一处温暖的怀抱 - Putting out my longing, the last place of a warm embrace

11 你为了谁 宁愿让心变成了孤岛 - For whom you chose to let your heart turn into a lonely island?

12 敞开双手 不依不靠从此随风飘 - Open wide your hands, don't depend on anyone, from now on float along with the wind

13 离别的酒容易醉 - It's easy to get drunk by the farewell wine

14 男人流血不流泪 - A man would bleed rather than cry

15 乾一杯 痛痛快快说再會 - Let's finish a dram then part without hesitance

I highly doubt if I get the correct meanings of lines #2, 6, 7, 10, and 12.

What does '记你的好' mean?

What does '地多大 天多高 一生只换一声好' mean?

What does '痛快的痛' mean?

What does '最後一处温暖的怀抱' mean?

What does '不依不靠从此随风飘' mean?

Can someone please help me to correct my translation.

Thank you very much in advance.

I highly doubt if I get the correct meanings of lines #2, 6, 7, 10, and 12.

What does '记你的好' mean?

What does '痛快的痛' mean?

I'll try with some simple suggestions, but hopefully someone else will come and correct us both :mrgreen::

2 烧成记号 记你的好永远別忘掉 -

Burnt into a symbol to remember you and never forget

6 地多大 天多高 一生只换一声好 -

The earth is big, the sky is high, and I'm happy to die for a single word of your love

7 痛快哭 痛快笑 痛快的痛死不了 -

I can laugh and cry to my heart's content, but I can't yet die a happy death

10 浇熄思念 最後一处温暖的怀抱 -

To put out the remaining last wish of my heart

12 敞开双手 不依不靠从此随风飘 -

Open your arms, embrace the wind and go where it takes you

:mrgreen:

What does '记你的好' mean?

What does '痛快的痛' mean?

The first one could be loosely translated as remembering your goodness. This is a typical phrase used in referring to people, usually encompassing there character, how the treated other people/the person who is talking, there love, all they did, etc. Basically a romantic concept of the persons "good".

I think in the second one hear, the 好 is more for the rhyming and doesn't carry a specific meaning of 好, but just keeps the pattern up.

Hear in the third, the writer is contrasting the 笑 with 哭 and 痛. So, there you could say, happily crying, happily smiling, happily "paining". Meaning that the good and the bad, are all a joy to him. And those emotions are undying to him.

In the fourth, I agree with your translation but you might want to not think of it as connected to the previous line or two but once again showing a contrast. Remember this is an art form and not an essay. It could imply looking for that place or that the writer is trying to extinguish that memory/desire for the place of their last embrace.

I like this last line: not relying or leaning on anything but being carried away from this place by the wind.

Just remember in looking at songs, that you may not get an "exact" answer. They are going to be slightly abstract and you have to kind of get more of a "feel" for the lyrics rather than the exact meaning.

Thank you very much for replying, HashiriKata and muyongshi.

I think in the second one hear, the 好 is more for the rhyming and doesn't carry a specific meaning of 好, but just keeps the pattern up.

So does that mean this line can be interpreted as 'I'm happy to exchange my life for just a single word by you'?

谢谢

Quote:

So does that mean this line can be interpreted as 'I'm happy to exchange my life for just a single word by you'?

Yes, you can interprete it that way. "一生只换一声好" is actually a short way of saying "我的一生要是能换你的一声就好了", so 好 here is, contrary to what muyongshi said, crucial to the meaning of the sentence.

By the way, my suggested translation of

7 痛快哭 痛快笑 痛快的痛死不了 -

as "I can laugh and cry to my heart's content, but I can't yet die a happy death" was actually a bit off. The literal meaning is something more like "these genuine (expressions of) emotions cannot die", but it was a challenge to put the whole thing in a more poetic form that I wanted.

"一生只换一声好" is actually a short way of saying "我的一生要是能换你的一声就好了", so 好 here is, contrary to what muyongshi said, crucial to the meaning of the sentence.

And since you had already brought this, may i say, more probable, translation to the table, I didn't feel the need to reiterate it, and I just added a second possibility. See I know how to work together! :clap

Yes, you can interprete it that way. "一生只换一声好" is actually a short way of saying "我的一生要是能换你的一声就好了", so 好 here is, contrary to what muyongshi said, crucial to the meaning of the sentence.

Not bad! The meaning HashiriKata explains is rather close. :D

The ground is so vast, the sky is so high, I’m waiting for your applause in my lifetime

一生只换一声好:我一生只为了等你为我叫一声叫好(为我喝彩)

一声好:一声叫好,一声喝彩

7 痛快哭 痛快笑 痛快的痛死不了 -

as "I can laugh and cry to my heart's content, but I can't yet die a happy death" was actually a bit off. The literal meaning is something more like "these genuine (expressions of) emotions cannot die",

The explanation is so cool, HashiriKata! :clap

but it was a challenge to put the whole thing in a more poetic form that I wanted.

How about this? -> Cry straight, laugh straight, the nature of straightness won’t fade!

Cheers!