Chinese-Forums

Anyone else in Baoji?

cjbaker

I was just wondering if anyone is living or has lived in the city of the Treasure Chicken. We've been living here since August teaching English, having a great time studying Chinese with our Chinese friends and exploring the city. I've been kind of surprised, though, that we haven't spotted another black or white person for over three months in this rather large (pop 4 mil.) city, and was wondering if there are any other foreigners here. According to the police office where we got our residence permits, there are over 200 foreigners living in the area, but I guess they must mostly stay indoors or don't go downtown.

Anyway, I don't so much want to meet other foreigners as I am curious. Are we the only crazy westerners here in Baoji carving jack-o-lanterns and making pie for Thanksgiving? There are elusive rumors of an African British man who goes to the new gym, a French guy who is extremely fluent in Mandarin and knows 西安话, as well as an old French lady who likes to have her hair done. What's even more strange is that random Chinese people I meet here have started to always say that they see us everywhere and know stuff about us, like where we live and work and that we speak Mandarin. Also, do you know where you can buy cream or normal butter? Maybe even cheese besides the processed crap at 家乐? How about cinnamon, cocoa powder, or nutmeg? Also, I want to make 意大利面 (spaghetti) for our Chinese friends, has anyone had success with any particular type of Chinese noodles?

PS: Don't work at Baoji KidCastle, our boss is the worst person ever.