Chinese-Forums

mp3 editing tools

David W Jackson

Split this from the Chinesepod discussion.

Another vote for audacity - very useful tool and very easy to use. Maybe takes a little time to figure out what you can do with it, but worth the effort. If you do a search on audacity you'll find previous comments about it.

Was going to write more about audacity yesterday but didn't have time.

Audacity is useful as it lets you lay out multiple soundtracks on one page, lets you listen to one, some or all of them at one time, lets you copy and paste bits of sound around the same way you do with text in Word, and you can save it all as a project file so it's all there when you come back to it later.

As an example, you could have a recording from your textbook in mp3 format. You open it with audacity and listen to it a few times. Then you record yourself reading the same line. Then you mute the textbook version and listen to yourself, try to spot what's wrong then rerecord minus (hopefully) the mistakes. Then you compare your second version with the model and realize you are still getting one sound wrong. So you highlight just that bit of audio and listen to it 10 times, comparing it with your version. You're still not quite sure what's going on, so you slow it down by 50% and that helps a bit. So you record your third version, and while it isn't perfect you feel fairly happy with it. Then you're tired so you save it and go to bed. The next morning you open it up again and review your first, second and third attempts with fresh ears, taking note of the changes you made for future reference.

I am not sure about Audacity, but CoolEdit has a "de-noise" function. It works really great on old tapes to get rid of the often strong background hiss noise.

I think Audacity can do that too. It would be great for the FSI fans out there.....

• 1 month later...

I practice my 听力 by listening Chinese MP3 (textbook recordings + podcasts). Do you know what software could help me to select some parts of these MP3 and save them as another MP3 file. For instance this would be very usefull for CRI news as I usually only listen a small part of them; the great thing would be to save these parts and then make compilations. Thanks