Chinese-Forums

General Internet Malaise

roddy

For the best part of the day I haven't been able to connect to MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, and most unusually Witopia. I held off on posting while I was out in a cafe as cafe Internet often isn't the best, but I'm home now and they're still not working. Beijing Netcom (or whatever it is).

Anyone else? MSN does stop working sometime, but not usually for this long. I thought for a moment they'd maybe blocked IM, but Skype seems fine.

Was just speaking to someone else having the same problems. If you have witopia, set your gateway to Manchester and things start working again.

Seems like there some kind of obstacle between China and parts of the Internet. Apparently the opendns servers are also suffering, so if you use those . . . you probably can't even read this.

Thanks for finding the cause of these problems. I have been experiencing the same thing.

BTW, I did some research and it appears that the 38.100.141.140/141 Witopia servers provide reliable and low packet loss connection. Even better than the UK servers.

Can't access Yahoo, MSN, or thebeijinger.com from my house. My Anchor Shield proxy thing isn't able to connect, either. However Google, Gmail, and Wikipedia are as as fast as ever. I'm about to go to Starbucks and see if things are the same over there.

My gosh! the Internet is so slow right now that I can't even load Gmail standard.

I found a site that test your Internet connection here within China. That way you can see how slow it is going without the firewall effects. Most other bandwidth tests are outside of the mainland.

Edited by self-taught-mba