Chinese-Forums

Jilin Normal Univerisity - Siping City

JDavies

Well, I'm off you Siping for a year this September to study mandarin in Jilin Normal University. Have to say, I wanted the immersion experience but for a beginner I think i may properly thrown myself in the deep end. Looking on this forum and on the internet in general there is relatively little information (in English) on the city and university. What little information I have found has tended to related to the northern shaolin kung fu school in the area, and not necessarily the city itself.

Has anyone had any experience with the university of city in general? Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hang on! You're the same guy who started that topic! Are you going to Siping just because I told you to?

It was good advice though. :D I, too, think going off in the middle of nowhere in Dongbei is probably the best bet to learning Chinese in the first year.

Good luck, JDavies!

Thanks wushijiao!

@ roddy

Yep...well it was a good shout by yourself, given that it turned out to be the smallest city in the Dongbei area on the CSC list of universities. Even if it wasn’t on there I have to say I still liked the idea. I'll be sure to let you all know how the total immersion-beginner-Siping city thing goes. Might even be able to increase the Wikipedia article to two sentences! :mrgreen:

CSC, SchmeeSC, I'm claiming this one as mine - should get a nice little bonus from the 四平招商引资办公室 when you start spending big at KFC.

I'm now fascinated by your adventure. This guy seems to have been there for four years, so it can't be that bad.

• 6 months later...

Hello I have a question.

Jilin Normal University (in Siping) is NOT one of the schools eligible for CSC scholarship right? (Although Jilin University in Changchun is.)

Immersion sounds great but I can't find much info on Jilin Normal University.

Jilin Normal University is not listed on CUCAS, nor was it on the list of CSC university codes.

Thanks,

Vivian

• 2 weeks later...

Late reply here. I saw lots of replies from Roddy. I don't know how to do on this forum. Will try.

I have been to this university. It is famous in Jilin Province as well as in northeast China for the Chinese people. It locates between Shenyang(2 hours car ride) and Changchun(1 and half hours ride). Siping City is small, while the University is big. About 15000 Chinese students and 130 foreign students from Russia, Korea few westerners.

Life expenses is cheap in Siping compared to Shenyang and Changchun.