Chinese-Forums

Visiting China before university starts - options?

PaoYu

A carry on from my other thread. Basically, it looks like I will be starting university this September studying a degree in Chinese. I finish college in about May or June (actually, it is fairly flexible - if I can justify it) then have until September to do as I will before I start university. I need to earn as much money as possible in that period of time; however, I also want to visit China!

I'll say at the outset that I don't think I can justify it in monetary terms. If I got a full time job at £5.00 an hour in England I would - theoretically - be able to make about £1,500 - £2,000 in that timeframe. Okay I'll never be able to make that in China (considering travel and accommodation fees aswell) in such a short time, but the experience/language/culture and all the other great stuff that comes with a trip to China makes up for it to a certain extent.

So, are there any options for me? I'm willing to work at anything, really. I'm half way through an online TEFL certificate; I doubt that carries much weight but it's something atleast.

Uhmm any help atall is appreciated :help Thanks.

Have you thought about using the homestay service in China to save on costs...

http://www.chinahomestay.org/eindex.htm

They put you in a home and you have to teach the hosts english a couple of hours a week... I havent used them (but am considering it as an option) but it may be worth checking out... and maybe to supplement you can do some english tutoring on the side...??

Over that time period the only work you can be certain of getting, and possibly the only work full stop, is summer camp TEFL teaching. If you don't fancy that (and I don't recommend it, they're even less organized than normal TEFL teaching places and you're liable to get stuck in the middle of nowhere with hundreds of schoolkids) you could try and pick up some short-term TEFL teaching, but it could turn out to be more hassle than it's worth.

Sounds like you're going to have plenty of time to enjoy China. I'd recommend, to be honest, sticking the summer out in the UK, saving as much money as you can and then using that either for a 2-4 week trip just before you start uni here, or using it to enjoy your stay more when you are here - rent a slightly nicer apartment, take a few flights during your holidays, etc.

Roddy