CLI ad

Put your message here

Welcome to Chinese-forums.com

Since 2003 we've been helping people learn Chinese, study and work in China, find Chinese books, movies or music. We are active, friendly and helpful. Check out recent and popular posts on the home page, see the full forums listing or sign up for free now.

Member quotes:

"This forum is a goldmine of information, and I'm so glad it's here!"
"...the kindest, most interesting and most useful help."
"...a godsend!"

Popular Posts

Photo
- - - - -

Sogou pinyin, Sogou Chinese IME

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 share badr

badr
  • user photo
  • Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:55 PM

This is the new rage in my office.. all the staff swears by the new Sogou pinyin input system and i must admit it beats anything microsoft by a mile. Trouble is I just can't manage to get it to run on XP english even after tweaking the language settings.
has anyone gotten it to run yet?
http://www.sogou.com/pinyin/

Site Sponsors

Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Mandarin in Beijing Tailored, intensive classes from professional teachers, for real results. Business Chinese
Learn Chinese in China Learn to speak Chinese 1MonthChinese.com -Mandarin School in China.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
The Hutong School in China Learn Chinese, intern or volunteer in Beijing, Shanghai and Chengdu with the Hutong School.
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.
Put your message here

#2 share 889

• user photo
  • Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 02:22 AM

Apploc from Microsoft often lets you run programs designed for XP Chinese on XP English. Haven't tried it on Sogou, though.

http://www.microsoft...ols/apploc.mspx

#3 share badr

badr
  • user photo
  • Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 02:30 AM

thanks for the hint. I'll give it a shot tomorrow at work and report back

#4 share smalltownfart

smalltownfart
  • user photo
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 10:25 AM

I am using version 1.5b1, on English XP, works fine.

My system is set to use Chinese (PRC) for non-Unicode programs, but I doubt that matters.

#5 share bg88888

bg88888
  • user photo
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 12:33 PM

set Chinese (PRC) for non-Unicode programs instead of English. It rocks!

My system is set to use Chinese (PRC) for non-Unicode programs, but I doubt that matters.

#6 share bg88888

bg88888
  • user photo
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 12:57 PM

start->control panel->regions and languages->advanced panel->set Chinese as non-Unicode Programs.

#7 share roddy

roddy

向Imron同志学习

• user photo
  • Administrators
  • 16,077 posts
  • Chinese:暂无

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:21 PM

Anyone been using this long term? It looks quite tempting, particularly the way it updates online to cover new words. I'm normally wary about downloads from sites I wouldn't particularly trust, but it says its clean. Seems to be a bit Web 2.0y, with a full changelog and blog online . . .

#8 share badr

badr
  • user photo
  • Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:45 AM

I've been using it on a daily basis in the office and so have my coworkers. Not one complaint!!! The only person that doesn't like it is a wubi addict.

#9 share atmartin50

atmartin50
  • user photo
  • Members
  • 16 posts
  • Chinese:Proficient

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:38 AM

I've also been using it for quite some time now, and I think it's great. The only odd thing that happens for me is that every time it searches for an update, I get a "failure" message which then closes the updater program. Not a big deal, though.

#10 share roddy

roddy

向Imron同志学习

• user photo
  • Administrators
  • 16,077 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:32 PM

Got this installed now. Nice and friendly to use, no complaints. Comes with a range of soft keyboards - pinyin, Russian,zhuyin, hirigana and katagana (sp?). Plust lots of options I haven't look at yet.

#11 share roddy

roddy

向Imron同志学习

• user photo
  • Administrators
  • 16,077 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:53 AM

start->control panel->regions and languages->advanced panel->set Chinese as non-Unicode Programs.

Spent ages trying to get it to work on English XP, and finally realized I would find the answer here. I've also removed the original Microsoft IME as I found it just got in the way . . .

#12 share ABCinChina

ABCinChina
  • user photo
  • Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:57 AM

Recently I switched over from Google to Sogou pinyin due to what I've heard from another forum member. For me, I use Hanyu pinyin to type traditional characters and find that Sogou is much more accurate. Also, I'm loving the features such as skin changing, word error reporting, etc. But alas, I think I am of a minority that use Hanyu pinyin to type traditional Chinese.

#13 share skylee

skylee

香港分舵舵主

• user photo
  • Members
  • 13,658 posts
  • Chinese:高不成低不就

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:53 PM

But alas, I think I am of a minority that use Hanyu pinyin to type traditional Chinese.

I too use Hanyu pinyin to type traditional Chinese. I agree with others' comments that the IME that comes with window is not good enough but I'm too lazy to install google or other alternatives.

#14 share roddy

roddy

向Imron同志学习

• user photo
  • Administrators
  • 16,077 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:41 AM

Anyone else lost Sogou Pinyin after an update? Restarted, clicked through the set up wizard, and now it's just gone. I'm back to MS, which is rubbish.

#15 share imron

imron

Admin

• user photo
  • Administrators
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:54 AM

Try going back to the text input settings and removing MS and re-adding Sogou. I imagine it should still all be there, so you won't need to re-install or anything.

#16 share roddy

roddy

向Imron同志学习

• user photo
  • Administrators
  • 16,077 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:02 AM

Oddly enough it wasn't. Reinstalled and then used 输入法修复 application under sogou's program group to choose the ones I wanted. I didn't spend much time trying to figure out what happened, but it seemed to just remove all Chinese IME's - including Pinyinput, so you might want to prepare for a flood of unpaid support requests. :wink:

#17 share Shadowdh

Shadowdh
  • user photo
  • Members
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:22 PM

Roddy, after what was updated? some on windows or on the IME itself...?

#18 share roddy

roddy

向Imron同志学习

• user photo
  • Administrators
  • 16,077 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:41 PM

Sogou pinyin itself.

#19 share Shadowdh

Shadowdh
  • user photo
  • Members
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:37 PM

Oh I see... mine has not upgraded yet (although I had to do a complete fresh install of everything a couple of weeks ago due to some really crappy problems with my laptop so maybe I got the latest version)... will look out for this when or if it does... cheers

#20 share roddy

roddy

向Imron同志学习

• user photo
  • Administrators
  • 16,077 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:26 PM

Few new features now, nothing spectacular and if I can be bothered delving into the preferences I might turn some them off.

There's now an English dictionary integrated, so if you type 'int,' you get a list of words starting with int - might be handy for words I can't spell. What I'd actually like is some way for it to guess when I've started typing English without switching languages, so I can type 'what ' and get 'what ' instead of 为哈特‘。

It is now more intelligent at spotting names. Eg if you type liuxiangyu you get 刘翔宇 as one of your options with a little 'this could be a name' icon.

If you type ku you get %>_<%, ha you get O(∩_∩)O哈!, wa you get ( ⊙o⊙ )哇 - that's one I'd like to turn off, will never use it and it's distracting.

Something else I just spotted is that in certain cases you can type the names of components to get a character. Eg type wangba and you get 兲 with (tian) next to it so you know what to type next time. I'd guess there's a list of rare characters this happens for, only saw it once.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users