Chinese-Forums

Converting Traditional Characters into Yale Romanization (for Cantonese)

twilightwind

Cantonese tone tool

the link led me to a page with "jung3 leui5 cham4 ta1 chin1 baak3 dok6。" in the text box, and it took me about 3 minutes to figure out that it probably meant "眾裏尋他千百度". I still don't know why there is a "k" for "度". "度" is pronounced "dok" when it has to do with measurement. It is pronounced "dou" when it means the number of times.

the link led me to a page with "jung3 leui5 cham4 ta1 chin1 baak3 dok6。" in the text box, and it took me about 3 minutes to figure out that it probably meant "眾裏尋他千百度". I still don't know why there is a "k" for "度". "度" is pronounced "dok" when it has to do with measurement. It is pronounced "dou" when it means the number of times.

I've yet to find a Cantonese (or Mandarin, even) conversion tool which automatically selects the correct pronunciation for a character with more than one pronunciation based on context. That would have to be quite a sophisticated program, surely. :wink:

the link led me to a page with "jung3 leui5 cham4 ta1 chin1 baak3 dok6。" in the text box, and it took me about 3 minutes to figure out that it probably meant "眾裏尋他千百度".

I had to use my fingers to count the tones.... then there's the tone 3 and tone 5 mixup... these two tones always confuse me.

then there's the tone 3 and tone 5 mixup... these two tones always confuse me

You are not alone. I confess that I can't always tell the difference. Pazu once said that we could remember the 6 tones as 三碗細牛腩麵 (easy to remember, isn't it?). But frankly I think the 3rd (細) and the 5th (腩) tones are difficult to tell apart.

• 5 months later...