Chinese-Forums

tool for mandarin and cantonese

Xiao Kui

I was hoping to learn Cantonese but without pinyin since I already understand characters. so browsing someCantonese learning pages for Mandarin speakers came across this tool

http://www.kanhan.com/tdc/tools1.html

Just have gotten started with it, but pretty cool so far. Just type in the Chinese (says you need to use traditional characters but worked for me with simplified, check the circle for Mandarin or Cantonese and then press the big green button that says 即時發音 and it will pronounce the characters in the dialect of your preference. If anyone knows of a better or similar tool for Cantonese please let me know. I've just tried some simple phrases such as "hello" and "my name is" so far.

I know that there are lists available with the cantonese pronunciations of single characters (the committee pushing Jyutpin has one, if I remember). But I'm not aware of anything that handles bigrams and more. Is this software doing anything more than splitting the text into charactrs and pulling out possible pronunciations character-by-character? Is it handling duoyinci and tonal variants?

I guess I'm curious how much work has gone into the backend. Not being a Cantonese speaker, I can't tell from just looking at the output.

Well, it does seem to differentiate between different pronunciations for different 詞:

eg it pronounces 幾乎 as gei1 fu4 but 幾多 as gei2 do1,

and 電話 as din6 wa2 but 我話畀你知 as ngo5 wa6 bei2 nei5 ji1

But I'm not a native speaker of Cantonese and I can't test it any further than that...