我【的】菜做得不好。

你【的】菜做得很好。

Hi,Weronika (维罗尼卡?)

Quest is right.

But your original two sentences

我做菜做得不好,请原谅。

您做菜做得很好。

are definitely correct.

Your question is very typical. I guess you have begun to learn the sentence pattern of 得, haven't you?

It's quite troublesome.:)

Anyway, i'll explain it shortly:

As a complement, 得 is uesed to denote degree or result of actions.It has many detailed forms.

As for your sentence, when you add 得 into a ‘verb + objective’ phrase in order to express the degree of the action, you MUST repeat the verb before 得. That' s Chinese grammar.:wink:

e.g.

唱歌(verb + objective)唱得好听极了(the degree of the action)。

孩子们听故事(verb + objective)听得不想回家(the result of the action)。

and also 您做菜(verb + objective)做得很好。

As for your sentence, when you add 得 into a ‘verb + objective’ phrase in order to express the degree of the action, you MUST repeat the verb before 得. That' s Chinese grammar.

This statement makes Chinese grammar sound like a authoritarian regime whose operating principles are simply arbitrary: You must do this and you must do that, and don't ask for reasons, because that' s Chinese grammar. :mrgreen:

This statement makes Chinese grammar sound like a authoritarian regime whose operating principles are simply arbitrary: You must do this and you must do that, and don't ask for reasons, because that' s Chinese grammar.

Yeah!

As a matter of fact, in my courses, I dislike grammar most.It is really odious: boring and rigid.:(

Yeah!

As a matter of fact' date=' in my courses, I dislike grammar most.It is really odious: boring and rigid.[/quote']I think your interpretation is slightly different from what I meant (but that is ok :mrgreen: ).

I think grammar has its logics but it's not easy for everyone to understand and (in justification for those dry, hated grammar lessons) it is not easy to teach either. Personally, I like thinking about grammar.

Since it's on topic and I'd like to clarify it to myself:

我做菜做得很好 sounds perfectly natural to a native speaker of Chinese right? Because it goes against the English notion of reducing redundancy. I'm pretty sure it sounds natural, but I'd like it confirmed.

I'm pretty sure it sounds natural, but I'd like it confirmed.
我做菜做得很好 is probably the most neutral in expressing the idea. All the following import into the expressions some extra (or unneeded) information:

我菜做得很好

菜我做得很好

我的菜做得很好