Chinese-Forums

need help using bubu gao (bbk) 9288s

teachinator

Well, I came to China to attend a BLCU short course without an electronic dictionary. Made buying one my top priority and ended up (long story involving a helpful Chinese friend) with a BBK 9288s for about 1100 yuan.

Without going into details, it appears that I have bought a dictionary intended exclusively for Chinese speakers (in retrospect, duh), and although the salesman seemed to be able to make it do everything I wanted, for example, manual character input, giving pinyin or audible pronunciation of Chinese, I can't figure it out and all the menus and the manual are in Chinese only (hence the retrospective duh). So far it is a distinctly non-useful tool for me, much too unwieldy in its interface to be able to use efficiently.

I was at least heartened to read in these threads some people say that BBK had some good electronic dictionaries, so I'm hoping I can use this with a little guidance. I need at least these basic functions:

- enter English term, get Chinese equivalent including pinyin. So far I'm only able to get it to return an all-Chinese response.

- enter (pinyin or manual) Chinese character, get pronunciation and meaning in English

and it would be nice if I could set it up so it opened to my preferred dictionary, rather than making go through several menus each time I start the device.

Obviously there's a lot more I'd like it to do, for example:

- click on Chinese character, hear pronunciation

- get list of compounds using a particular character, including pinyin and English definition

Does anyone by any chance have this model (9288s) and know how to do at least the first two above who would be willing to meet at a coffee house of your choice, let me buy you coffee, and show me how to use it?