Chinese-Forums

September 30 get together

dumpling_libre

Hello

I missed last time gathering but I should be there for this saturday. Houhai sounds appealing (and many people recommended it, with beautiful view over the lake and good live music) but I would prefer to go to the International beer garden this time, it looks nice and relaxing too. I may have a look at a salsa party nearby after. Do you plan to have a drink at the IBG first then move to a restaurant or the IBG is just for the meeting ?

dont think I will be going out for drinkies this weekend. sorry. Too many other things I 'have' to do !

Mado - I am definitely up for our birthday celebration though (nearer the time of course).

Maybe we can all have another get-together early November.

Hi,

It looks like everyone wants to go to the International beer Garden. Here's a map for those of you that don't know where it is (I didn't) http://www.atthewu.com/place.php?pid=374 It actually looks like a really cool site. Anyway I'll meet anyone who comes. I'll probably get there early (about 6:30) and act as a contact person. My phone number is 13426417364. I'm really not a big drinker but I would like to try some of the food out there and meet some new people. If we end up moving to a new location just try calling my mobile and I'll try to explain where we've gone. I'll probably call it a night at about 10:00 pm as we live on the far south east side.

Anyway look forward to meeting some of you at 7:00 at the International beer Garden.

Nathaniel Brown.

Sounds great, Nathaniel. I'll get there by 7.00. Do you want to meet outside in order to accommodate those who prefer to go somewhere else for dinner and then drinks? Or do you want to have a beer first and plan on leaving a bit later? I suggested outside since some people said they don't drink beer.

Any suggestions re: restaurant for dinner?

Mado

To be honest I don't drink beer but I'll probably have a coke or two while I wait. There were a list of restaurants on the website I linked to. I'm going to try and find some that look interesting but to be honest I don't know that area at all so I figured some one else would have a favourite or something :-) but I will have a backup list just in case.

Nathaniel Brown

Wudaokou food possibilities

A real pity the jiaozi place at the BLCU has been demolished. My teacher recommended a restaurant near the 3 minutes from West gate of the BLCU for Chinese food. It's noisy, and usually packed but it's also in the budget variety. To get there from the West gate, cross Chengfulu, and continue walking into the campus of the Dili University. The restaurant is on your left. You can't miss it because it's the only one there. It looks a bit run down. There's just xiaochi on the bottom level, go to the second floor and you're there.

Isshin ok Japanese food, but I don't think it lives up to the advertising. Probably on the slightly higher end of the (student) price scale but they've got set meals for 28 yuan. Their chicken and welsh onion set, is consistently excellent.

On the 6th floor of the Pizza Hut building, there's another Japanese restaurant which has a more extensive menu than Isshin and is much quieter. Prices are marginally cheaper and they have half price sushi from 5-8 Mon to Fri. The bill came to 71 yuan for 2 people last time I was there (last week). I wouldn't say I was entirely stuffed, but I was satisfied. The quality of the fish was about the same as that of Isshin. Sushi on the smaller side, somewhere between skimpy and reasonable slices of fish and smallish amounts of rice, but then at 6 yuan for a serve of salmon sushi I guess it's reasonable.

If you continue past Sculpting in Time heading south, and walk for about 6 minutes, you'll pass a bunch of smallish "boutique" bar/restaurants with cool decor and inflated prices. Continue for about 2 minutes and you'll hit a Chinese restaurant with big glass windows. The name escapes me however. They do a pretty fine Peking Duck there for 48yuan. Not really fatty, good tender juicy duck meat in good amounts. I tried their chilli fried squid and their Sichuan cold spicy noodles which sucked though.

To avoid:

Tafi is an Italian restaurant behind the Lotus Centre. My one and only experience of eating there was dismally disappointing. I had a marinara pasta for about 48yuan. I asked beforehand if the seafood was 1)real 2)fresh that day. They assured me it was excellent seafood, and that they only used fresh seafood bought that day. Anyway, to cut it short, my food came out looking as good and as fresh as vomit. 48 yuan can go a long way in Beijing. I was pretty miffed. Richard's pizza was pretty skimpy too. Very back value for money.

So as not to end this long and possibly tedious post on a negative note, I'll mention one of the best deals in Wudaokou - chicken donburi at Higeoyaji.

Higeoyaji, is a little family run Japanese restaurant. Everyone sits on the floor, and removing your shoes is a condition of entry. It's comfortingly clean. No one spags on the floor ehre. They do a really big and tasty chicken and egg donburi for 12 yuan. I can only ever eat half, which means it's 12 yuan for 2 meals. (And I have a healthy appetite) To get there, head east up Chengfulu from Wudaokou subway, take first left, follow street all the way up heading north, when you reach the end you cross the road which takes you into a little cul de sac. Higeoyaji is next to the discount bookstore.

OK, hope this helps somewhat.

Yonita