Chinese-Forums

How to make collect (reverse charge) phone calls?

Madot

Can anyone tell me how to make a collect (reverse charge) telephone call from Beijing? My travel insurance "emergency" number is an Australian one and you are supposed to ring "reverse charges", but not being fluent in Chinese, I have no idea whatever how to do this. Is there any number which would access an English speaking operator? How DO people ring home reverse charges???

Mado

• 4 weeks later...

You prolly don't need the answer anymore, but someone else readingt this forum might. I just so happen to work in the only call center in australia that those reverse charge calls come through. So anyone reverse charging from China to Australia will come through to an australian operator in my call centre. Anyway, there is a number of different direct line numbers that you need to dial to get an Australian - depending on what company the phone is. If its a phone on the street and you don't know which company it is with just try them till one works - you'll only be charged a local call in chinese currency if anything. That will get you through to a voice recording, but if you wait on the line without pressign anythign you should get an Australian operator who will ask "Reverse Charge or Telecard Call". You then say reverse charge and they so "one moment please" and then they ask you for the number you want to reverse to and your name. They then call the number while you are listenign ans say to whoever answers " This is telstra with a reerse charge call form (your name), will you pay for the call?" They won't let you leave a message if they get an answerign service. I'll write the numbers down when i'm at work tonight and post them up :)

Dial 108-61. You will be connected to an Australian operator.

For other countries dial 108 followed by the international dialing code (e.g. 44 for the UK). Yo uwil be charged a local call fee and it doesn't always work from public phones.

I confess that I haven't tried this for years. Let me know if it works.