Chinese-Forums

Moving to China - Unknown Costs?

ms2002sss

Hi,

I am moving to China soon and plan to live there with my Chinese wife. I am trying to work out a budget so I know how much £££ to save before I leave. I have worked out all house and utility bills, but cannot find a price of putting my child into a school. International or Chinese school, either is fine as she speaks both.

Can anyone answer the following for me please.

1. How much for a school year?

2. Any other cost I may run into that I may have overlooked?

3. What visa do I need. I plan to live in China, but have no job. Although if a working opportunity comes up I may take it.

4. Ideally I would love to teach football (soccer). Is there any demand for football coaches in schools in China?

Thanks

At first you'll need to decide WHERE you want to live. Prices in Shanghai/Beijing and on the countryside are way different.

If youre wife has a chinese passport it might get easier (and cheaper) with apartments etc.

In beijing an apartment can be as expensive as you want it. There are apartments (3room) from under 2k to 20k, mine is abour 4k but the location is quite expensive (WuDaoKou HuaQingJiaYuan.) It all depends on what standard and location youd like.

Unis are different aswell, right now I'm paying 11000/semester but in cities other than BJ I'v eheard about tuition fees at half as much.

Living can be really cheap, again it depends on what u want. I can spend as little as 1000kuai/month but averaging at about 3k which includes loads of partynights and dining at non-chinese (see expensive) restaurants.

Dinner at a decent chinese restaurant 10-30kuai

Lunch in school 5kuai.

Swimming 1 hour local swimmingpool 12kuai

Pool 1 hour 15kuai

taxi starts at 10

bus 1-3kuai

subway 1-5kuai

McD ~20kuai

Pizza 20-40kuai

sushi 30- kuai

Hi there,

thanks for the info. I will be living in Hunan. Apartment is not a problem. Have already purchased one. Although not fitted yet so if anyone can recommend any links that may give me Chinese prices for things like internal doors, flooring, TV's, air con etc. Would need to be in English as my Chinese isn’t good enough, and the Mrs is too lazy to check until we are in China. (Is it just my wife or is the Chinese way not to plan things, just worry about them after they go wrong?)

Would anyone who has done something similar like to hazard a guess at the price for decorating (the works plus furniture)The apartment is 200 square meters big, 5 bedrooms, although 1 may be used as a study and 1 as a nanny’s room. 2 bathrooms, kitchen, large living room/dining.

Any tips when hiring Chinese labour? Any guilds they must be members of? Wouldn’t want some amateur doing my electrics!

As for the schooling my girl is a baby, so I am looking for primary/secondary school prices.