Chinese-Forums

Teaching at two places at the same time...Legal?

mandarinstudent

I am currently working nights/weekends at a language school in China, but am thinking about picking up a second job at a university or public school during the day to supplement my pay. The language school helped me acquire my residence/work permit. Im wondering if the universities/public schools are even allowed to hire me because another company helped me with my visa. Can I do this? Anyone here have any experience with this?

Legally, you are only allowed to work at the institution which 'sponsored' your residence permit.

Unless the first college agree to 'lend' you to the second.

That said, it is illegal to drive on the sidewalk in China! That doesn't stop anyone from doing it!

However, you may find that they balk at the shared responsibilty! If you are unlucky enough to fall under a bus, which college leader should be blamed (and punished) for letting you out on your own?

Sounds crazy. But I've experienced it.

Legally you aren't likely to run into any issues. Your main concern should be what your actual employer is going to think if they find out you are moonlighting for a rival - schools put a fair amount of effort and expense into employing foreign teachers. If you reckon you've got that potential issue under control, fair enough.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

as others said, it's not LEGAL, but I know lots of people that did it. I know 2 guys that got caught by the police. All they said was, "Don't do that!"... You will probably be OK though... I taught for 3 years on a tourist, business, and studen visa and never had a problem. In one town, the police even know what I was doing. They even let the school extend my tourist visa.

but, it's always better to keep thing kosher.