Chinese-Forums

Translation

gvan729

Hello, I am a martial artist who is in the process for creating a new style. I do not no how to translate the name of it into Chinese Pronounciation. The name in English is Balanced as One. the chinese characters are 平衡作為一......However could somebody please assist me and tell me wut those characters would sound prounounced and written in English characters. Thank you very much.

If by "English characters" you mean pinyin, that set is pronounced ping2 heng2 zuo4 wei2 yi1. But that won't help the fact that it looks awkward to me. For one thing, the sense in which you are using "as" in the English doesn't actually translate to 作为 (zuo4wei2). For another, your translation makes an adjectival phrase based on the word "balanced" into an adjective (平衡) and a predicate (作为一), essentially creating two sentences out of one. This is made all the more confusing by the fact that there is not indicator that they are separate.

My own attempts to translate are also hindered by the fact that I can't really parse the meaning behind the English version, which also feels awkward. If I had to take a guess, I'd say something along the lines of 平衡若一, or maybe 平衡如一. Even those ones may not be what you're looking for. I can say that it would probably be more elegent, at the very least, to go for four characters as opposed to five.

Incidentally, 平衡作为一 is exactly what one gets when one inputs "Balanced as One" in Babelfish.

I think I know what "balanced as one" is getting at. It means different (unbalanced) styles have been combined into one balanced style. Maybe "balanced into one" would be more to the point, but that would have less of a zen or lost in translation feel. Could you just take the 作 out of 平衡作为一?

thank for you for your help. you are correct in saying that i am taking many unbalanced styles and combining them as one balanced art. however now that I know what it is called I would like the Pinyin of those characters or something to the effect as (balanced or equal) as one (or united or together)

• 2 months later...