Chinese-Forums

Private schools in Kunming

bueller

Hi,

I'm heading to Kunming to study Mandarin sometime soon. After looking through a few threads on this site it seems that as I really only want to improve my spoken chinese, a private school may be best.

anyone know which are the best schools in Kunming? and how much do they cost?

or, do the Uni's offer purely speaking classes?

Hello :-)

I'm going to Kunming in November. I'm a French girl and want to learn Chinese in Kunming, teach French and practice martial arts for few months.

I haven't bought yet my plane ticket and I guess I may need a registration from a school to be able to buy just one way ticket (and not the return ticket)

If you have any information about it, thanks a lot !

I'm looking for cheap prices to study either at the University nor in a private school. Do you have some names ?

See you

Jehanne

Mr. Stinky, curious how you chose CELC. I'm looking for a place that's in a good convenient location, to get some good instruction for six months or so.

Also curious about Kunming in general. I was looking at moving to Beijing, but a contact is strongly pointing me toward Kunming.

:) i'm local in Kunming,study in yunnan normal uni.

i think elcec is a good choice for Chinese beginners from western country,cuz most of the teachers in elcec can speak english, sometimes they can do explaination in english to you. but the problem is that in elcec most of your classmates are from western countries,probably you tend to speak more english to each other,while in yunnan normal,a big number of students come from asian countries,say thailand,viet nam,korea....so maybe you will have more chances to practice your oral chinese,,,and the teacher they cannot speak much english...:roll:

in yunnan normal uni. it offers some cultual course,like calligraphy,martial,...

Jehanne, if you want to teach French in kunming, you can try some language school or just give private class...although in my school, there's no French major,we need to study a second foreign language and French is one of them. some students want to have a french speaking tutor but couldn't find a proper one.

http://www.icis.cn

this is yunnan normal uni. web link...:D

ELCEC has many western foreigners? When I was there, every single classmate save one were Asian (mostly Korean). Guess it has changed since I went there...

Also, when I was there, I could go and do the cultural classes (like caligraphy) at 云大 for free. Not to mention ELCEC offered some for free when I was there as well (like cooking).

ELCEC is right next to 云大, so the location is definitely good, very close to Cuihu.

I don't have any experience with Yunnan Normal University other than I took an HSK test there. Rampant cheating going on (people swapping test papers, having Chinese friends sit the exam for them, talking during the exam, etc), and the test administrators didn't do crap about it.

indeed i heard something about the cheating in HSK in Yunnan normal uni.even they can make the fake HSK certificate for u if u want.....:roll: ( bu hao......)

my thai friend recently transferred from yunnan normal to elcec.she said all her classmates are from western except her and another 2 Japanese...

teachers there explain things in english so that she really get confused at times(she cant speak eng,)

the campus of 云大is much bigger and more beautiful than yunnan normal. but i dont know much about the teaching area..... its location is rather good~~ near green lake,forerigners' street......

there seems to be more 'furriners' at ynnu, but they do segregate the beginners classes

between asian and western students. i suppose they combine them for intermediate

and advanced, but as i won't be there to find out.....

currently my elcec course has 2 australians (do they count as western?), 1 italian,

1 korean, 1 thai, 1 frog, 1 brit, and me. i believe the class across the hall is the same

level, composed mainly of thai and vietnamese students. suppose if i wanted to, i could

switch, but don't see any reason to.

main problems i had with ynnu were:

1. instructors had too little experience, i'm assuming they were hired from their own

graduates. and an instructor who could not spell pinyin, nor use the correct tones

was a real bummer for beginning students.

2. administration was pretty disorganized and unhelpful, especially after tuition had

been paid. hard to find them in their offices....noting that starting this semester,

their 'work' hours changed to 8:30-11:00, 3:30-5:30. now really, who the hell needs

a 4-1/2 hour lunch, even if they're 'working' 5-1/2 whole hours.

• 4 weeks later...

Frog refers to a Frenchman, not a French Canadian, and is no more pejorative than being called "rosbif" in return.

Yunnan University, Yunnan Normal University, and the Eastern SChool of Languages are all of a muchness. As far as I know the books are the same or similar, but the thing is, you can't bargain on price in the universities. You can in ELCEC.