Chinese-Forums

When is 的 used like the Japanese で

jhuboy

I was reading a book and there was a phrase that came out 漲得我整天頭昏昏的好難過 and my friend said that in this sentence 的 means because I am dizzy I feel uncomfortable how does that work out and when is it used like that because none of my dictionaries even mention that usage for 的

It's an interesting idea to see the connection between 的 and で but I suspect you'll have to do a bit of research yourself in order to say whether the connection indeed exists. I wouldn't expect this sort of "cause & result" mentioned in a standard textbook or dictionary, because it is quite common to end a sentence with just an "adjective+的" alone.

If anyone is interested in associating 的 with で, the following examples seem to good to get started with:

他是很聪明的,不会吃亏。

他是很能体谅人的, 你可以告诉他你的难题。

你的病是可以治好的, 你别悲观!

Sorry atitarev, it was not intended as a joke. I was only trying to help.

Perhaps my typo's caused the misunderstanding?

"the following examples seem to good to get started with"

should be read as:

"the following examples seem to be good to get started with"

:D

I thought you were not serious with your examples but sarcastic. Chinese 的 has no relationship with the Japanese で, they only sound alike. Although in your sentences Chinese "de" can be replaced with the Japanese "de", they play different roles in those sentences, IMHO.

you'll have to do a bit of research yourself in order to say whether the connection indeed exists.
As you see, I'm only encouraging research (rather than expressing a view). Trying, even in itself, is a good exercise in learning.

(I sound like an old fashion teacher, don't I? :D )