Chinese-Forums

Ridiculous pace

Language Guy

A variation on writing characters that has worked well for me (better than any other method so far) is to pick a set of words, and write each of them ONCE. Then, go to the next word, and try and remember that one. Once finished, repeat the group. I recycle until I can recall them all. It seems to magically happen around 4th-6th cycle through.

I change the length of the cycle (# of characters/words) to suit how well my short term memory works (not very well). So, I only do about 10-15 characters at a time.

Also, I size the cycle to be able to get back to the first word within about 5 mintues at first. You can play around with the number of words to do until you hit the right timing for your own memory.

Then, repeat them again after a rest, etc. (like next day, after a few hours, etc).

This avoids the "autopilot syndrome" mentioned in the other post. Also, I think the act of trying to recall each character triggers memory creation.

I also try and group together very close characters, even if they're from a different lesson. This helps develop memories which keep the small details separated.

By the way, my story for "Zhidao" is that the second chracter looks like a snail with a bookshelf on it's back.

Here is Dr. Heisig's response to my question:

"Dear Leo,

Thanks for the note. In the end, we decided it is best to make 2 sets of 2 volumes each, one for the traditional hanzi and the other for the simplified. The first vol. would contain about 1,200 hanzi and the second about 1,800-2,000. The sorting out of the most used characters was a very time-consuming process, as is the ordering. We worked on it full-time in the summer and Tim Richardson is coming back to Japan from January to April so we can finish the thing off. That would mean a publishing date in the fall of 2007. Sorry for the delay, but the new plan seems much better in the long run. When we have the first few hundred of each volume done, we will post them on the net (probably around the end of January) to get some feedback as we continue the work.

Regards,

Jim Heisig"

A bit of a bummer; I'll keep a lookout for the preview in January.

A variation on writing characters that has worked well for me (better than any other method so far) is to pick a set of words, and write each of them ONCE. Then, go to the next word, and try and remember that one. Once finished, repeat the group. I recycle until I can recall them all. It seems to magically happen around 4th-6th cycle through.

This avoids the "autopilot syndrome" mentioned in the other post. Also, I think the act of trying to recall each character triggers memory creation.

Those are excellent suggestions. I'm going to try them today.

I too have been trying to set up my flashcard programs to cycle similar characters (like, I have a terrible time remembering 問,間, 聞 and so on), but it's a bit of a pain trying to tweak spacing algorithms to do this sort of thing. The direct approach sounds more efficient.

I too have been trying to set up my flashcard programs to cycle similar characters (like, I have a terrible time remembering 問,間, 聞 and so on), but it's a bit of a pain trying to tweak spacing algorithms to do this sort of thing. The direct approach sounds more efficient

問, just remeber you ask a question with your mouth,口

聞,listen to news with your ear, 耳朵

間,sleep on a bed (that has a pillow, see the blanket and pillow separation line) in your room. (Ok maybe this one I randomly made up, but that's what it looks like to me..)

I've been trying this method since you've posted it, and it works surprisingly well. It definitely eliminates the muscle-memory aspect of rewriting characters.

But to be honest, I think I'm going to finish this class and not take Chinese 2 (at least at this University). As I said before, I've studied many foreign languages with successful results and I know how a class should and should not be taught, and this one is doing everything wrong. The same teacher and methods will be in the next class. It's pretty much a waste of my money; very little teaching is actually taking place. So I'm thinking of graduating in the Spring and getting a private tutor afterward.

We still used an "old school" style approach. Each new word you came across, you'd fill an entire page of a exercise book with it.

Then there were the weekly dicatation tests.

Nothing spurs you on more than failing a few tests.

However I've never really come across tests where you're just given the pinyin and expected to write the characters from it, I think that must only occur in the early stages, as its a waste of time. They'd be better off giving you normal dictation.

Nowadays the only time I use pinyin is for inputting characters on my PC.

My classes also use a very "old school" approach. All copying characters, reciting memorized dialogues, and NO conversation practice at all. Can this approach actually work? Has anyone ever become fluent in Mandarin this way? I'm seriously considering quitting and getting a good tutor as well. It would be a big waste of time and money to do this for years and still be unable to speak.

Anyone else have experiences with similar classes?

The way I learn characters is to write them many, many times each. So very often when I come to write a character I could not actually tell you in advance what the character looked like, but when my pen begins to move I seem to naturally remember what the other parts are. Try writing each character out 100 times and probably then writinig it will come naturally.

I don't know if this has been said yet but I have a splitting head-ache so I'll post anyways.

For you flashcard system I came across a nice trick to improve efficiency.

Make space for 10 or so piles.

From your beginning pile of however many words, go through them all, and whatever words you get correct, move to the first pile, whatever words you get incorrect, leave in the beginning pile.

Study the beginning pile a couple times a day, space it out of course to give your brain time to soak the info up before you review.

When you feel you're ready, go to the first pile again, review them. Whatever ones you get correct move to the second pile, whatever ones you get wrong, move to the beginning pile. Then go to your beginning pile, review, move the correct to the first pile, and leave the incorrect in the beginning pile.

The basic idea is to move your card up through the piles one pile at a time, and back to the beginning if you get it wrong no matter how far along. This way you focus on the words you have trouble with more.

A couple tips:

Give it hours before you review the cards for a move to the next level, don't cheat yourself.

You can make rules for each range of levels as well.

- 0-3 just get it right

- 3-6 get it right in under a second

- 6-10 get it right instantly

Hope it can help, let me know if it needs further explination.